COB Comparison Vero29 vs CXB3590 - Cheap Drivers vs Meanwell

Lost In Nugs

Has anyone in here experienced what these new Bridgelux Vero 29 Gen7 can do, or compare it to some higher end crees? I have read the Gen7 outperform the CXB3590s that were the shit a year ago. The 3500k models i prefer pull almost 80 watts ( 2100mA at ~40V) at 160Lumen per Watt. I would run them with 1400ma at about 50w each forbetter lifespan - or are the crees still on top when underdriven and about the same wattage?

What willbe the differences in using a MeanWell driver over a cheap chinese one? More ppfd at the same wattage? Or will they just emit less heat? Since i dont really care if i use 200 bucks of electricity or 250 per grow and the ballasts are going to hang outside of the tent with a huge fan on them i wouldnt care for heat that much, i just care if the light itsself will run better. is anyone out there who can explain the benefits you get from those MW?

Being an electronics guy, the LEDs should not really perform any different at first. The longevity and the brightness are the big factors with the price. Cheaper LEDs will go dimmer faster and have a shorter life cycle (when they just die).

The more expensive driver will put out more light with less heat. It's all about closer tolerances, and better quality of parts/design.

I guess that doesn't help much, but can put a perspective on it. A cheaper setup will work, but not as long, and not at the same efficiency.

The dimming though can be a big deal. Why? Because after the LEDs dim, the more power you must give them, which creates more heat, for the amount of light equal to a year ago. Yes, a year can have a big difference depending if you grow a lot. The more you grow, the quicker the LEDs dim. ALL LEDs dim, it's just their nature. Can't do anything about it, but replace them. Cheaper ones dim faster, typically.

Sorry for the information that doesn't seem good at all.

Now you will ask, how long with this LED grow light work. That is very subjective. It may work for 20 years, but in 20 years, the light may have to touch the plant to give the same amount of light to the plant. The power we are putting out of these LEDs are astounding. There are a LOT of other variables, such as ambient temperatures, on/off cycles, etc.

Yes, i can see what you mean. I am also electronics guy, just hobby. The depths of the detail is enormous in this subject and we are barely scratching the surface with this technology. Of course you can drive car in a volvo but that dosen't say it's more fun and faster in a ferrari. But does the price for a ferrari justify the reach of the destination? So i probably settle with BMW... ;)

Yes, i can see what you mean. I am also electronics guy, just hobby. The depths of the detail is enormous in this subject and we are barely scratching the surface with this technology. Of course you can drive car in a volvo but that dosen't say it's more fun and faster in a ferrari. But does the price for a ferrari justify the reach of the destination? So i probably settle with BMW... ;)
I had to edit a few things....must have been half asleep when I replied..... Just for you to know.

Hey it's cool. I'm even sure i can find the answer here in the forum. There are a couple of threads about this subject. But being a human, it's always easier to ask than to read.... =)

Back
Top Bottom