Cops Say Video of Them Eating Marijuana Edibles During a Raid Violated Their Privacy

Jacob Redmond

Remember the Santa Ana, California, cops who were caught on video munching on what seem to be cannabis-infused chocolate bars after raiding an unlicensed medical marijuana dispensary in May? The Orange County Register reports that three officers who were suspended after the incident are trying to stop the Santa Ana Police Department from using the footage in its internal investigation. Among other things, their lawsuit argues that the officers thought they had disabled all of the security cameras at Sky High Holistic and therefore had a reasonable expectation of privacy. The cops complain that the dispensary never got their permission to record them as they searched the premises.

"All police personnel present had a reasonable expectation that their conversations were no longer being recorded and the undercover officers, feeling that they were safe to do so, removed their masks," says the complaint, which was filed in Orange County Superior Court. "Without the illegal recordings, there would have been no internal investigation of any officer." Under California law, "all parties to a confidential communication" must consent to being recorded, but that rule does not apply when "the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded."

In an interview with the Register, Sky High's lawyer, Matthew Pappas, noted that police routinely use surveillance camera video against suspects. "It's pretty pathetic for police to say if we don't like something that it can't be used as evidence," he said. "They knew they were on video....Just because they missed one camera doesn't make it illegal.

15507.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Suspended Cops Say Video of Them Eating Marijuana Edibles During a Raid Violated Their Privacy - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Author: Jacob Sullum
Photo Credit: Luke McGarry

Re: Cops Say Video of Them Eating Marijuana Edibles During a Raid Violated Their Priv

This just too pathetic. These criminals should have considered that they could missed a security camera that would record them stealing from the business so that they could become intoxicated while at work, work that allows them possession of leathal weapons. Fire them all along with full disclosure in any response for background/previous job performance.

Re: Cops Say Video of Them Eating Marijuana Edibles During a Raid Violated Their Priv

Crazy.
Want to make it even more crazy? Remove the first word of the compoundword "policeman".

Now the article goes something like this.....
Man follows orders from his boss to close an illegal (in opinion of boss's boss) store. After performing duties, man then destroys private property, steals goods from store and uses drugs. When confronted about the wrongs he did, man states, "I shouldn't get in trouble because I thought no one would find out". Ridiculous.

The cops complain that the dispensary never got their permission to record them as they searched the premises.

Did the dispensary give them permission to even be there in the first place? There was probably a sign at the front of the store saying that there were security cameras but I have never seen one that lists where they are all at.

Sounds to me like they are despritely grasping at straws.

"all parties to a confidential communication"

Putting aside the fact that a public servant is not extended the same rights to privacy as a private citizen,
since when is (lawful?)breaking and entry, vandalism, theft, and witness intimidation "confidential communication."

Pathetic.

Weaselcracker, I hope your just trying to be funny.
I saw the edited video and they took out a camera right below the hidden camera. The Police thought they popped all of the cameras off the walls. And the police are worried about their privacy?! What about the privacy of the people when they intimidate you with threats of being arrested if you don't give consent to let them search your car?! The police have no right to search your car unless they see anything illegal laying around. If they ask you out of your car, pull the keys and lock the doors behind you. Do some research and know your rights!
I wonder if there were any cops with body cams on that day. It would be interesting to get a better visual of that edible that they ate.
I wouldn't want to be a cop these days. The tide seems to be turning against them and that means more and more people are going to be standing up against them.

Back
Top Bottom