My first Journal...ongoing grow, SEA of Green

tommysnoboard

OK this is what I am using
600 hps Sun sys
400 mh Sun sys
I also have a light rail, however I am not using it anymore. I like my girls to have the constant sun light rather than on the rail its like your girls are out on a cloudy day.
Using Fox Farms on some and going completely organic with some with Neptunes fish and sea weed fert and also using Neptunes Kelp. I am using Budswell which has worm castings, bat guano, seabird guano, soluble seaweeds in it. I use a compost tea as well that I make with the Budswell, fish and sea weed, kelp and molasses. My girl Lovde that. I am going to feed some of my girls only the compost tea and see how that works out. I am also using , Botnacare Sweet. Also using CO2 boost
I recently moved, in my previous location I was growing Hydro using Dutch Masters and I was going to keep going with Hydro, but I didn't have the cash to buy the Nutes so I started in souil figuring I would go back to hydro later. But I am not going back to hydro. I learned all about it, self taught and some unfortunate results due to immediate death due to lethal levels of salt build up on my first hydro grow, second one was ok, but again at the end, my girls died, then just when I got it all figured out, the number one thing I figured was Deep well culture isn't for Cannabis plants. There is too much that can happen tooo quick. Once there go south its so hard to get them back. My last grow ended with Helicopters flying over my place and I felt un easy, so better safe than sorry.
So here I am...new state, new grow. Started from random seeds. I really want to get some pure strains just because but what my end result was. I am pleased and named them Tom Tom
Picture_0495.jpg

So I am keeping all my girls between 8 and 18 inches high. I am still experimenting on the perfect height for my sea of green. The ones I just harvested were all too big. Was waiting to get them out of there to get everything organized.
Picture_00552.jpg

So I am tired of writing, so I will close out for now

YO, TS, right on, you got it going on with a journal!! Let the fun begin for real! I am subscribed and in whole hearted.
Just a couple quick comments and suggestions-

I also have a light rail, however I am not using it anymore. I like my girls to have the constant sun light rather than on the rail its like your girls are out on a cloudy day.

So I am keeping all my girls between 8 and 18 inches high. I am still experimenting on the perfect height for my sea of green.

I have read up on the light rails, and I do see there really is some potential benefit to them, at least I think. The one part of the equation I never have seen is when they say something like "140% more light utilized" with a rail/mover system, does that really take into consideration what impact an oscilating fan may have, i.e., as the fan oscilation cycles thru the plants and moves the stock and leaves into and out of full light exposure, does this compare to the effects of a light mover (its basically change of light orientation/light penetration angle vs. change of plant orientaion/light penetration angle). Further, if/when the oscilating fan actually pushes a hanging light 1/2" side to side and pushes stock and leaves, thus changing light orientation (slightly) and plant orientation, how does this compare to the benefits of light rails/movers.?.? I am leaning to a good osc. fan pushing things around enough could compare (if not equal, close to) with the rails. Of coarse my thinking is still in a fairly small scale, and there probably are applications in larger scales where there is no comparison.

as to the height of 8-18" for plants, this was my thinking starting out - light from the HID's decrease at the inverse square per foot. With a good environment you can have the 600w ~12" from the top of the plant, and at that point its receiving approx. 300w of the 600 (I could do it in lumens, but this seems simpler), 12" down from that you have 150w, and 12" down from that 75w. So in my mind this meant a 3' plant would be perfect, the top 2' would be able to get 300-150w of direct light from the HPS which is plenty to do it right, and if anything below that got light it would still be over 75w which would still be OK. If you look at a general naturally grown untrained pot plant they really put their concentration on the top 2/3 with the top being thin enough to let full light get to the top branches (which will usally be 4-6 brances) to get full exposure to light, then there will be a good number (more than 6) of under brances that are naturally shaded (hence de-prioritized) by the upper story. Seems like those understory are more in reserves, naturally, for a "just in case". So the plant naturally wants to prioritize the top 2/3. So a 3' foot plant can have 2 foot of good/great buds, with very little underneath. If you grow all of your plants to ~18" I'd say there is is still another 6 or more inches of light column you could have used to increase your plants yield.
I'd say veg them till they are ~10-12" then put under the 600w for flower and hope they get 30-36".
I am still pretty new to the indoor thing, but this is what I am thinking here. I would love to hear other opinions tho.

Anyways, probably a shitload more than what you wanted to hear, but I guess I ramble a bit when I'm stoned (maybe you saw that in my journal...hehehe).
Good Growing, Happy Days, Pakaloha, and :peace: ,
HD

Interesting about the light rail. I just turned mine on yesterday to move about the distance of a foot, not the whole 5 foot rail. I just don't like it, with not giving that direct unimpeded light. But since I am, well I have a perpetual grow going on. I have at this point. 3 different sets of girls in different stages of flowering...sea of green. I just got about everything organized. Its soo working out how I had envisioned. I just woke up so the fan thing kinda went over my head but I think I know what you mean! As for the height. The girls I just harvested were about, or close to 36'' but I had pinched everything below the top 1/4. I don't like my girls that tall...I prefer petite women. They are easier to work with. My first grow I was using DWC and I vegged my plant to long and they got out of control. The root system filled and was the same shape of the 5 gallon bucket. I had to gdet a knife and cut the root cause it was chocking itself, And it was just a hassle. I am using 4 1/2 or 5 inch pot on all my girls. I like it to look organized and clean, yes I am anal. But they look like a bunch of cadets :p Funny I made them my own strain sicne they were random seeds, callling it Tom Tom. I really want some pure strain seeds....looking to take a trip to Co.

Now that I have everything all set up and organized, I'm bored. This week I will get some Dutch master gold series and begin some girls in hydro. Will use ebb and flow method most probably. DWC is overrated in my opinion. Think people just like the idea of bubbly water. But with my girls now I am feeding three different ways for the three different sets I have. On the first set of girls...my tallest ones I . am using Fox farms and cha ching, also using some botnacare sweet (grape), the hydro store guy gave me a sample. The second set is totally organic, because for those who dont know Fox farm isn't organic. For my organic componets I am using Neptune's harvest fish and sea weed 2-3-1, Ascophyllum Nodosum (kelp) @ a 0-0-1, buswell @ 0-7-0...I think that is all. I also give it compost tea maybe once a month. Which brings me to my last set that I am doing organic as well but with these I am only going to feed them compost tea. I am in the process of making a votex brewer for my tea. I make the tea with the following ingredients. Fish and sea weed fert, budswell, kelp, molasses...let me think. I think that is all I use. Let it brew. For those unaware of compost tea. Learn about it. Its some amazing stuff and introduces micro organisms to your soil. For those using the sub culture stuff. This is way better abd cheaper!!! Try it for your self. You can also take some compost, put it in your wife's old panty hose, and make a tea just like you would with drinking tea. Just make sure they are not her favorite pair of Hose. I like to put a water pum in my 5 gallon bucket to keep the water moving, but an air stone is a must. This organisms and such in the tea need oxygen to live. You will get foam, which is why the vortex is needed, to keep the foam down. Grow on!!

Back
Top Bottom