A Metabolic Interaction in Vivo Between Cannabidiol and THC

Jacob Bell

A metabolic interaction in vivo between cannabidiol and Δ1-tetrahydrocannabinol

G. Jones and R. G. Pertwee
Small right arrow pointing to: This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Abstract
The effect of pretreatment with cannabidiol (CBD; 50 mg/kg i.p.) on the distribution of radioactivity in chromatograms of ethyl acetate extracts of the brains of mice injected with tritiated Δ1-tetrahydrocannabinol (3H-Δ1-THC; 1·0 mg/kg i.v.) was determined. The pretreatment with CBD produced significant increases in the levels of radioactivity in the brain assigned to Δ1-THC and its centrally active metabolite 7-hydroxy-Δ1-THC: the changes produced were respectively 1·4 and 2·0 fold.
Pretreatment with CBD did not bring about any detectable change in the degree of 'catalepsy' produced by Δ1-THC. This negative finding may have been due to the wide limits of error that were obtained in the bioassay.
Full text
Full text is available as a scanned copy of the original print version. Get a printable copy (PDF file) of the complete article (380K), or click on a page image below to browse page by page. Links to PubMed are also available for Selected References.

icon of scanned page 375
icon of scanned page 376
icon of scanned page 377

Selected References
These references are in PubMed. This may not be the complete list of references from this article.

Christensen HD, Freudenthal RI, Gidley JT, Rosenfeld R, Boegli G, Testino L, Brine DR, Pitt CG, Wall ME. Activity of delta8- and delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and related compounds in the mouse. Science. 1971 Apr 9;172(979):165—167. [PubMed]
Mechoulam R. Marihuana chemistry. Science. 1970 Jun 5;168(936):1159—1166. [PubMed]
Mechoulam R, Shani A, Edery H, Grunfeld Y. Chemical basis of hashish activity. Science. 1970 Aug 7;169(945):611—612. [PubMed]
Paton WD, Pertwee RG. Effect of cannabis and certain of its constituents on pentobarbitone sleeping time and phenazone metabolism. Br J Pharmacol. 1972 Feb;44(2):250—261. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
Wahlqvist M, Nilsson IM, Sandberg F, Agurell S. Binding of delta-1-tetrahydrocannabinol to human plasma proteins. Biochem Pharmacol. 1970 Sep;19(9):2579—2584. [PubMed]

Source: A metabolic interaction in vivo between cannabidiol and Δ1-tetrahydrocannabinol

Back
Top Bottom