Amelia Weaver's Miraculous Recovery Via Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

When 18-month-old Amelia Weaver caught the flu, her mother took her to see the doctor. Amelia had her first seizure in the pediatrician's office.

"Watching my baby have a seizure was the scariest experience of my life," mother Angie recalls. At first, it seemed a one-time episode. A year passed. Three-year-old Amelia was walking, talking, learning her letters and counting up to 20.

Late one morning, the Weavers woke up to silence from their daughter's room. It was strange. Amelia would usually be their alarm clock. They found her in her crib, in the throes of another seizure. Four more would follow in quick succession as the Weavers rushed Amelia to the hospital.

Over the next few months, Amelia lost the ability to walk, talk and eat on her own. She started having 30 to 80 drop seizures a day. Eventually, she was diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome, a severe form of epilepsy. The Weavers had an explanation for Amelia's condition, but no cure. They'd tried 23 different anti-epileptic meds, and none of them worked.

Like other desperate parents around the country with kids in pain, Angie turned to medical marijuana. Convinced that cannabis oil would help control Amelia's seizures, she began to campaign for legalizing it in Minnesota. She testified before the legislature, ran a letter writing campaign to the governor and offered her story to as many media outlets as she could. She thought about packing her bags and ditching home for a marijuana refugee state like Colorado or Oregon.

The activism paid off. Since medical weed became legal and Amelia received her first prescription from LeafLine Labs, she hasn't had a single seizure. The 9-year-old is sleeping, speaking and catching up to the other kids in school.

"Amelia has seen drastic immediate results from medical cannabis," Angie says. "After watching our daughter suffer for years, we are so relieved that something is finally giving her some relief."

The Weavers are still paying about $200 a month for Amelia's medical weed, and the costs keep growing as Amelia does. As the family awaits expansion of Minnesota's medical marijuana program — and the addition of more patients to drive costs of medication down — they've set up a GoFundMe for donations.

15681.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Amelia Weaver's miraculous recovery on medical marijuana | City Pages
Author: Susan Du
Contact: Latest Minneapolis & St. Paul News and Events | Minneapolis City Pages
Photo Credit: Fighting For Amelia
Website: Latest Minneapolis & St. Paul News and Events | Minneapolis City Pages

We need to get cannabis LEGALIZED NATIONALLY ! There are literally millions who can benefit from using cannabis from a medical and holistic perspective. After all, remember ---- we ALL (every mammal and maybe even fish) have an endocannabinoid system that gives us our appetite, allows us to sleep, allows us to forget so that there's not a gazillion things running through our head at the same time, relieves pain, fends of anxiety and panic attacks in many, etc., etc.

Once legalized, people can cultivate their own medicine. It is NOT rocket science, and with all of the strains available, one can find a strain that will probably work on managing an affliction, illness or disease that that have. The government does not own our bodies and it does not pay my taxes on the property and home that I own. This is MY domain and MY life --- our illustrious government does not belong in this portion of it. As long as I don't impinge, impede, impose, victimize or even threaten another individual (or animal), then leave me the fuk alone !

Let ME manage my afflictions and pain and keep the fukking government and Big Pharm out of MY life! I am so sick and tired of our government not allowing us freedoms that we had and should have AGAIN.

How many out there feel the same way? Or should I put it this way ---- how many MILLIONS of law-abiding citizens want this prohibition and smear-and-fear campaign to end immediately ??? Who the hell do they think they're fooling anyway? WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS IS A MONEY PLOY by both our government and Big Pharma, along with Big Business pushing their big snout into the picture.

Our government, Big Pharma and Big Business ---- Moe, Larry and Curly ---- all in the same bed ---- always making the average citizen the victim.

Back
Top Bottom