Bill To Legally Distribute Medical Marijuana In Louisiana Proposed

The General

Medical marijuana use could become a reality in Louisiana if a bill proposed by State Sen. Fred Mills, R-Parks, finds enough support. Mills visited The Daily Advertiser's editorial board Friday afternoon to share information on his bill, which would provide parameters on prescribing and dispensing medical marijuana for glaucoma, epilepsy and cancer patients who are 21 years or older. "It's not addressing the recreational use whatsoever," Mills said. "And if you think about what can be used for an epileptic or a glaucoma patient or a cancer patient, the present drugs that are being prescribed right now have numerous side effects that can be quite dangerous and quite addictive."

The therapeutic use of marijuana has been legal in Louisiana since 1991, but the act passed that year failed to provide a mechanism to facilitate dispensing or purchasing of marijuana. A physician could prescribe it, but a patient couldn't get it. Mills, who works as a pharmacist, addresses in his bill how medical marijuana would be dispensed, prescribed, grown and regulated. The bill is restrictive in an attempt to find support. Eventually, Mills said, the bill could be expanded for use by those younger than 21 and those who have other medical conditions.

"My hopes are that as people examine the legislation that it would be expanded somewhat, but I think that in this case in Louisiana, we have to crawl before we can walk," Mills said. Finding support will be the challenge. Medical marijuana is currently legal in 20 states and Washington, D.C. Recreational marijuana use is legal only in Colorado and Washington. During a February meeting, however, the Louisiana Sheriff's Association voted to take a stand against any effort that would decriminalize or legalize marijuana or lessen the penalty toward marijuana offenses. Association representatives were not available for comment Friday afternoon.

Under the proposed Louisiana legislation, physicians would be regulated through the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, dispensers would be regulated through the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy and growers would be regulated through the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry. "Hopefully this would become an industry," Mills said. "You'd hopefully get enough money coming into Louisiana that you'd be able to develop different strains to meet different medical conditions." Ultimately, Mills said he became involved in the bill because of patients asking how they could get medical marijuana because it is legal in Louisiana. "I'm passionate about the issue," Mills said. "That's why I'm doing it."

Medical_Cannabis_23.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Theadvertiser.com
Author: Megan Wyatt
Website: Bill-legally-distribute-medical-marijuana-Louisiana-proposed

Back
Top Bottom