California: Pot Expo Connects Patients With Providers

Jacob Redmond

Alicia Tucker's hand rested on her oxygen tank as she listened to a representative from Altai — a company that produces marijuana edibles — talk up a gourmet display of pot-infused bon bons at PotLuck, a medical cannabis expo.

Five years ago, Tucker, a 43-year-old Temecula resident, would have scoffed at the idea of using medical marijuana. But that was before her genetic lung condition progressed to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which makes her breathing difficult.

Her treatment originally included steroids, steroids and more steroids, she said. At one point, she was on 19 medications. Then a friend suggested she explore marijuana as an option.

"I said, 'No, I grew up around that, I don't want any part of that,' but they suggested I do my research, so I did," Tucker said. "I talked with my husband, I talked with my family, I talked with my kids. ... They told me to do what I needed to do to get healthy."

She started consuming the drug via edibles and the decision changed her life. "I'm down to six (medications) now. That's huge," she said.

It's patients like Tucker, said organizer Jonathan Ohana, that inspired him to put on Sunday's event, which was held at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina. Ohana said he'd often hear from medical marijuana users about the positive impact the drug has made on their lives. They also told him about their struggle to find legitimate and consistent providers.

"The whole goal is to connect patients who have ailments, who depend on this medicine, with the best, most preferable caretakers that can provide the most effective medicine for them," he said.

Among dozens of booths, which included marijuana advocacy organizations, pot collectives, artists, weed dispensaries and delivery services, was the Southwest Patient Group, the third dispensary to be legalized in San Diego.

Pearl Ayon, who helps run the dispensary with her partner, Alex Scherer, said educating users about the medicinal benefits — and myths — of marijuana is just as important as connecting patients with the product that's best for them. Their 3,500-square-foot retail space includes a variety of marijuana products, along with educational displays and kiosks.

Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Alaska and the District of Columbia allow pot to be sold for recreational and medicinal use. An additional 19 states, including California, allow the drug to be sold only for medicinal purposes. Despite state law, selling and using marijuana is still a federal crime.

One attendee, who has used pot sparingly since she first tried it as a teen, said she recently became a medical marijuana patient, in part to attend the expo. She said she spoke with her doctor about anxiety and sleeplessness, but she also wanted to be able to purchase and use marijuana legally.

Over the years, the 56-year-old Coronado resident said she has felt the stigma surrounding the drug lessen, and she's excited about the prospect of legalization. Despite that, she declined to be identified.

"I don't' like to feel like I've been earmarked as a druggie just because I prefer to have a hit of marijuana rather than a cocktail," she said. "I shouldn't have to feel bad about that."

16504.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pot Expo Connects Patients With Providers
Author: Lyndsay Winkley
Photo Credit: K.C. Alfred

Back
Top Bottom