Charges Reinstated After Court Finds Marijuana Enclosure Lacking

MedicalNeed

A 6-foot-tall, chain-link fence dog kennel secured by padlock is not an "enclosed, locked facility" under the Michigan medical marijuana act, a divided Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled, reinstating felony drug manufacture charges against a medical marijuana patient in Shiawassee County.

The court, in a 2-1 majority opinion released this morning, said Larry Steven King was not entitled to protection under the act (approved by voters in 2008) because the backyard structure where he was growing marijuana was not anchored to the ground or enclosed from above as required by the law. They also ruled that marijuana plants found in a closet in King's Owosso home were not secured.

King was targeted in May 2009 after an anonymous tip to state police about plants growing in the kennel.

The opinion was signed by Judges Henry Saad and David Sawyer.

Judge Thomas Fitzgerald, in a dissenting opinion, said King's backyard enclosure and home met the act's requirements and said he would have affirmed a lower court decision to dismiss the charges.

The prosecution of King is one of several cases involving prosecution of defendants who claimed to have the legal right to grow or possess marijuana under the MMA that have reached the appeals court. Some of the issues raised are expected to be decided over the next few years by the Michigan Supreme Court.

News Hawk: MedicalNeed 420 MAGAZINE
Source:freep.com
Author: Dawson Bell
Copyright: 2011 freep.com
Website:Charges reinstated after court finds marijuana enclosure lacking

Ok, let me get this straight. This dude wasn't growing more plants than allowed, was not in possession of more ounces than he was allowed. He did have at least attempt to secure his grow. Maybe he was poor, and that kennel was all he could afford to buy? Yet the decide to give him a felony? WTF??? is this world coming to? Guess I should not have picked this article as the first one to read upon waking up just now. Oops.

hey guitarman313, if you read as many depressing news bits, here as i have, this one would not sound so bad, it reminds me of whats going on in Egypt, the government is in denial, and not neutral but helping the bad guys(repressive laws). so find your square and help fill it up till we (reason) prevail. skyhighrobert

Back
Top Bottom