Check Valve Question

George Parker

I tried searching for this info but haven't found anything yet, so forgive me if this topic has been covered before...

After doing some research on check valves for my air pump I noticed some folks complaining about restricted airflow, so last night I tested mine to be sure I was getting as much air as possible into my airstones before I start using my system. To my surprise, there was less airflow WITHOUT the valves :hmmmm:

Seems the slight restriction in airflow from the check valves increased the air pressure out of the line which does make sense, but my question is this: Will this added pressure decrease the life of the pump?

Thanks in advance for your time!

I doubt it. The pump in my fish tank outlasted the fish (4+years of 24/7) and all the lines had check valves on them.

Running without check valves could really shorten the life of your pump if you lose power and it happens to siphon backwards. LOL

DD

I doubt it. The pump in my fish tank outlasted the fish (4+years of 24/7) and all the lines had check valves on them.

Running without check valves could really shorten the life of your pump if you lose power and it happens to siphon backwards. LOL
DD

That's too funny but also too true. I had a pump fail on me many years ago and my fish almost ran out of water right before I got home from work, what an F'n mess that was.

Thanks for the quick reply; I just wanted to be sure. My box is upstairs and I never want to come home to a swollen, saggy ceiling.

+reps to you if I can yet...

Back
Top Bottom