Citizens Passionate But Civil At Vader Pot Meeting

The General

Washington State - In a workshop stretching nearly two hours Saturday at Vader City Hall, citizens and council members eloquently aired their concerns and views regarding Seattle developer Brandon Milton's proposal to install a wholesale growing operation inside warehouses on his industrial property in the city limits.

"This could be Vader's defining moment," said Shannon Olson, urging her fellow citizens to speak up for their city's values. "This is not really a problem, but an opportunity to define and secure the future of Vader." Milton, 39, asked people to keep an open mind. "We're painting this as black and white, as good or bad for the community," he said. "The truth is, it has the potential to do wonderful things, but you can abuse it just like alcohol." The meeting's purpose was informal discussion without taking official action, Mayor Kenneth Smith said. Four of the five council members attended, with Rodney Allison absent.

Most of council opposed:
Kevin Flynn is against the proposal, and most of the Vader residents he has talked to are against it as well. "Tons of people are signing petitions saying we do not want it," Flynn said. "I got sufficient feedback from people that the feeling is yes, this town needs money, but there are better ways to pursue it." He predicted it will cost citizens more to pay for extra law enforcement than the city will receive in business taxes. Janet Charlton supports the proposal. With legalization, marijuana is eventually going to be everywhere, she said. "I think we're being prejudiced based on our moral beliefs," she said. "We have to focus on the business aspect."
Andy Wilson is against it, and said that Vader would be unable to compete with Seattle-area operations. Linda Newton said she can't support it at present. A naturopath, she supports medical marijuana but is against selling recreational marijuana in retail stores (although Milton's operation would not be retail). She wants the town to wait until the state finishes figuring out regulations, zoning and other details. A beekeeper, she is also concerned about pesticides, because "eventually this will become a crop that's grown outside."

Citizens air concerns:
Hallie Sword, who is running for city council, said a marijuana-growing operation would discourage good families and quality businesses from moving to the area. "Vader is not Tacoma," she said. "It's not a little town – it's a teeny tiny town. ... People are not going to want to move to a tiny town that has a big marijuana plant." Justin Olson said marijuana puts a strain on the health-care system akin to alcohol and tobacco, and the "potential economic benefit from legalization is overstated." His wife, Shannon Olson, said the venture is too risky because Milton hasn't shown any concrete plans and figures. She questioned his estimate that he would hire 30 workers per warehouse, saying than an expert she consulted told her it would only need four to six people. Milton's location across from the Little Crane Cafe is too close to homes, shopping and parks for appropriate use, she said.

Developer had to learn about pot:
Milton said misconceptions about marijuana are behind most of the objections. "Why are we so afraid of it?" he asked. "I don't have a background in marijuana. I'm not a former pot-smoking teen. I had to get educated – and I was frankly surprised." He listed numerous uses, including a marijuana oil used for seizure control that has drawn numerous families to Colorado, the only place they can get it. As the father of a son with autism, "This illustrates to me how significant it is for families." Marijuana is safer to use than alcohol, he said. Many cities are proud of their beer-producing heritage and there are even sports arenas named for beer, he said. "Our image is not going to suffer from marijuana," he said. "This is an export industry, environmentally benign, and these are always good for the community. Always."

Cannabis_Grow_Op_Indoor.jpg

News Hawk - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Tdn.com
Author: Leslie Slape

Back
Top Bottom