Court Rejects County's Challenge; Upholds Medical Marijuana Identification Program

Jimbo

Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:callme:50 By: Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Director

The California Court of Appeals, Fourth District, ruled yesterday that the state law requiring counties to issue identification cards to authorized medical marijuana patients is constitutional and must be implemented by the counties.

The suit had been brought by the County of San Diego against San Diego NORML and the state of California, alleging the provisions included in SB 420, adopted by the legislature in 2003, were preempted by federal law and were therefore unconstitutional. San Diego NORML had been named as a defendant, because they had publicly threatened to sue the county if they refused to implement the patient identification cards.

In a unanimous 39-page decision issued by Justice Alex McDonald, the three-judge panel undertook a thorough analysis of the legal doctrine of federal preemption, finding SB 420 was not in direct conflict with federal law, and rejected the county's challenge.

The court found that a local government entity "charged with the ministerial duty of enforcing a statute generally does not have the authority, in the absence of a judicial determination of unconstitutionality, to refuse to enforce the statute on the basis of the (entity's) view that it is unconstitutional."

The court continued, "We conclude the identification card laws do not pose a significant impediment to specific federal objectives embodied in the CSA. The purpose of the CSA is to combat recreational drug use, not to regulate a state's medical practices. The identification card laws merely provide a mechanism allowing qualified California citizens, if they so elect, to obtain a form of identification that informs state law enforcement officers and others that they are medically exempted from the state's criminal sanctions for marijuana possession and use. "

The court further ruled, "Congress does not have the authority to compel the states to direct their law enforcement personnel to enforce federal laws."

San Diego NORML is represented in this matter by Adam B. Wolfe, Esq., staff counsel with the ACLU Drug Law Reform Project out of Santa Cruz, CA.

NORML Blog Blog Archive Court Rejects County's Challenge; Upholds Medical Marijuana Identification Program

Re: Court Rejects County's Challenge; Upholds Medical Marijuana Identification Progra

is this published as a precedant so that other counties in your state must also comply with the id laws and stop state law employees who avoid a new law they don't like with the federal excuse

Re: Court Rejects County’s Challenge; Upholds Medical Marijuana Identification Progra

I personally don't like what NORML is doing here. I don't want another level of beauacracy. Another registry that has my name on it so the feds can show up my door. This should strictly be between the doctor and the patient like it is here in Washington. All you have to do is a keep a copy of the medical authorization in your wallet and you're covered. No lists, no harrassment.

Re: Court Rejects County's Challenge; Upholds Medical Marijuana Identification Progra

I think this is a catch 22 here, in the fact that it would be great for an MMJ patient to just be able to flash a card and be on their way, and not in custody.

On the other hand...like you said KW420, I don't like the idea of people being placed on a list that makes a person admit their cannabis use and your right about doctor/patient confidentiality.

I like the card idea, so that they can't touch you...but, being black listed is not cool and makes one feel like it's an admission of guilt or something.

Just my 2 cents worth :smokin:

Maybe someday we'll look back on this and just laugh that we had to go to extremes to get our medicine.:grinjoint:

lol...I'll be too busy dancing in the streets :headbanger::goof::rocker::theband:

i Personally Don't Like What Norml Is Doing Here. I Don't Want Another Level Of Beauacracy. Another Registry That Has My Name On It So The Feds Can Show Up My Door. This Should Strictly Be Between The Doctor And The Patient Like It Is Here In Washington. All You Have To Do Is A Keep A Copy Of The Medical Authorization In Your Wallet And You're Covered. No Lists, No Harrassment.

I Love Washington :)

Its not a bad state.lol
Been a liberal bastion for many years. I'm not really liberal but I like the diversity.

I'd really like to see the libertarian's start making a stronger impact than they have in the past.

The Democrats and Republicans just laugh at these guys, and make jokes about them behind their backs.

A stronger presence by them, would promote a better word for change, I think :smokin:

But, the sad reality of it is, that they are hardly even recognized in the political world. Their sensible views, are just dismissed before they even get it out of their mouths good, by the media and most of the other politicians.

They need better support than they get for sure. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom