Effects of Cannabidiol on Amphetamine-Induced Oxidative Stress Generation

Jacob Bell

Effects of cannabidiol on amphetamine-induced oxidative stress generation in an animal model of mania

Author(s) Valvassori SS, Elias G, de Souza B, Petronilho F, Dal-Pizzol F, Kapczinski F, Trzesniak C, Tumas V, Dursun S, Chagas MH, Hallak JE, Zuardi AW, Quevedo J, Crippa JA
Institution Laboratório de Neurociências, Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ciências da Saúde, Unidade Acadêmica de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense.
Source J Psychopharmacol 2009 Nov 25.
Abstract Cannabidiol (CBD), a Cannabis sativa constituent, may present a pharmacological profile similar to mood stabilizing drugs, in addition to anti-oxidative and neuroprotective properties. The present study aims to directly investigate the effects of CBD in an animal model of mania induced by D-amphetamine (D-AMPH). In the first model (reversal treatment), rats received saline or D-AMPH (2 mg/kg) once daily intraperitoneal (i.p.) for 14 days, and from the 8th to the 14th day, they were treated with saline or CBD (15, 30 or 60 mg/kg) i.p. twice a day. In the second model (prevention treatment), rats were pretreated with saline or CBD (15, 30, or 60 mg/kg) regime i.p. twice a day, and from the 8th to the 14th day, they also received saline or D-AMPH i.p. once daily. In the hippocampus CBD (15 mg/kg) reversed the D-AMPH-induced damage and increased (30 mg/kg) brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression. In the second experiment, CBD (30 or 60 mg/kg) prevented the D-AMPH-induced formation of carbonyl group in the prefrontal cortex. In the hippocampus and striatum the D-AMPH-induced damage was prevented by CBD (15, 30 or 60 mg/kg). At both treatments CBD did not present any effect against D-AMPH-induced hyperactivity. In conclusion, we could not observe effects on locomotion, but CBD protect against D-AMPH-induced oxidative protein damage and increased BDNF levels in the reversal model and these effects vary depending on the brain regions evaluated and doses of CBD administered.
Language ENG
Pub Type(s) JOURNAL ARTICLE
PubMed ID 19939866

Source: Effects of cannabidiol on amphetamine-induced oxidative stress generation in an animal model of mania

Back
Top Bottom