End Arguments Over Medical Pot

It is a misconception that the DEA must approve marijuana before it can be legally used for medical purposes under federal law. Removing marijuana from Schedule I status only requires recognition that the drug has "currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States." Fourteen states with hundreds of physicians and thousands of patients using marijuana provides the "currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States" needed to remove cannabis from Schedule I so it can be legally prescribed in the United States.

Establishing the medical value of marijuana is not needed to put cannabis back into the U.S. pharmacopoeia. The efficacy of marijuana is legally irrelevant to whether cannabis can be used as a medicine. Because marijuana has never caused a death in recorded history there is no lack of "accepted safety for use of the [cannabis] ... under medical supervision" and there is no need for extensive testing before allowing medical use.

With 14 states allowing medical marijuana and more on the way there can no longer be any argument that marijuana should stay in Schedule I because pot has "accepted medical use."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Appeal-Democrat
Author: Ralph Givens
Copyright: 2009 Freedom Communications

Back
Top Bottom