England: Cancer Battler Karen Roberts Given New Hope Of Life-Saving Transplant

Jacob Redmond

A woman battling cancer has been given new hope of a potentially life-saving stem cell transplant because her tumours have shrunk after she took cannabis.

Karen Roberts took the drug in an oil form in the hope that it could help to save her life.

The 55-year-old, of Stenson Fields, has aggressive lymph cancer and was told she had just months to live. She started taking cannabis oil earlier this month after buying it on the internet. She now says she has been told by doctors the tumours have begun to shrink. She is taking no other medication.

Medics have said she can now undergo tests to see if she can have a stem cell transplant from her sister, Sue Gray, who lives in Coventry.

Mrs Roberts has stopped taking the cannabis oil because she says she wants to focus on being fit and healthy for the tests.

Mrs Roberts, whose husband, Garry died from leukaemia in January, has been told a transplant could give her a more positive outlook.

Mrs Roberts said: "I've had appointments with doctors and they said I'm doing really well. The tumours have shrunk and I feel better in myself. They said if I carry on as I am then I have a 5% chance of being here in six months. That's the worst case scenario and that's without any further treatment.

"If the tests go right and it means the transplant can go ahead then it's really good news but I've been in this position before and that was a disappointment because it was decided that it couldn't go ahead. It was too aggressive at that time and that's why they didn't want to do it.

"But the tumours have shrunk and that's why the option is now here, it's calmed down.

"I've been through so much just to get to this point but I know things can change very quickly and there's still a long time for me to go.

"I've stopped taking the cannabis now because I want this transplant. The tumours were not shrinking before I was taking the cannabis oil. I can't say for definite if it was the cannabis which did the job, I'm not an expert, but it's a coincidence."

Mrs Roberts said she had suffered no side-effects from the cannabis treatment.

Hundreds of people attended the funeral of her husband at Markeaton Crematorium in January and more than £6,000 was brought in by a fund-raising campaign launched after his death. That cash went towards the Royal Derby Hospital and the Eyes Alight charity, which raises money for people with brain injuries.

Mr Roberts had initially shown signs of recovery following a bone marrow transplant last year but the cancer returned.

Mrs Roberts, who was a charity fund-raiser at Asda Sinfin, said she had struggled to come to terms with her husband's death because the couple were so close and had already been through so much as they battled the disease.

13546.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Derby cancer battler Karen Roberts given new hope of life-saving transplant | Derby Telegraph
Author: Derby Telegraph
Photo Credit: Derby Telegraph

Back
Top Bottom