Entrepreneur Registers 30 Cannabis-Related Trade Names

Katelyn Baker

Less than a month after a bill legalizing medical marijuana in Ohio was signed into law, nearly 30 cannabis-related trade names are registered to one name and address in Athens County.

Names like The Ohio State Cannabis Company, Capital Cannabis Company and Columbus Cannabis Collective, among others, are all registered to a 54-year-old man named Thomas Jackson, an aspiring legal medical cannabis producer who wants to make sure he won't have to pay anyone for the name he wants on his operation.

That's despite legal medicinal cannabis production in Ohio being more than a year away, Jackson said. He doesn't expect the rules for Ohio producers to be fleshed out until at least May of 2017.

Registering a trade name in Ohio costs $39, so Jackson must have spent around $1,000 registering the 27 names.

Jackson's earliest registration became active on May 26 of this year - a full two weeks before Gov. John Kasich signed House Bill 523 into law, allowing Ohioans with certain ailments to use marijuana.

"I did not register the trade names with the intention of selling them," Jackson said via e-mail. "I hope to use some of these as trade names in the emerging medical cannabis industry in Ohio."

That, of course, is contingent on his becoming a licensed medical marijuana producer in the coming months.

Though some Ohioans legally will be allowed to possess and consume medicinal marijuana in September of this year, Jackson said he is looking as far as two years out before his production will begin.

Jackson, who is actively involved in the Ohio Patient Care Network, a medical marijuana advocacy group, is a staunch consumer protection advocate who insisted on measures to ensure the safety and quality of medicinal pot once it is grown legally in Ohio.

Jackson cautioned against the "gold mine" mentality some investors in marijuana seem to possess. He said if getting into the business of cannabis nets owners huge profits overnight, there must be something wrong with the system.

"I'm all for profits. I'm against profiteering," Jackson said.

He'd like to see some mechanism put in place to ensure prices remain reasonable for Ohioans who need medical marijuana, but can't afford it at price levels seen in places like Colorado and Washington.

He testified in front of an Ohio House committee on medical marijuana in April, where he argued for a regulatory system that includes purity standards. Under his proposal, independent laboratories would test every harvest before it hit dispensary shelves.

Jackson said he understands and is willing to accept the cost burden a system like this would impose.

istock.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Entrepreneur Registers 30 Cannabis-Related Trade Names
Author: Jeremy Hill
Photo Credit: iStock

Back
Top Bottom