Estero Halts Approval Of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Katelyn Baker

Estero, FL - Even though Lee County voters joined voters across Florida in passing Amendment 2 and making medical marijuana legal, the Estero Council voted to keep medical marijuana dispensaries out of the village for at least a year.

The council unanimously approved the decision, and residents don't like the move since the state already approved the amendment.

Mary Magruder worried about medical marijuana dispensaries moving in near her grandchildren.

Florida became the 26th state to legalize medical marijuana on election day. The amendment passed with 71 percent of the vote, passing in almost every county in Florida. Now Floridians want to know what comes next.

"I think caution is good, wait another year," said Abby Magruder. "Just because I have kids too and with people drinking and driving and also smoking medical marijuana would be a problem as well."

Others don't understand the wait after Florida voters made their voices heard on Election Day.

"I don't understand the wait," Karen Dougherty said. "We have already voted, and it should be part of today's law."

"I think they should put that into effect right away," Tony Dibruno added. "Because everything I read, see and hear that medical marijuana does a lot of benefits."

Council members said they are doing their due diligence and have a lot of questions that need to be answered.

"This is a big amendment," said city council member Katy Ellington. "We have to study it. We have to look at where the dispensaries can be and what kind of doctors can prescribe it. It's major."

WFLA.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Estero Halts Approval Of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
Author: Stacey Deffenbaugh
Photo Credit: WFLA

Back
Top Bottom