Family Weighs In On Medical Marijuana Licenses Decision In New York

Jacob Redmond

Friday decision on medical marijuana licenses in New York State came with mixed emotions for some local families -- many of whom have fought to get medical marijuana legalized.

Friday, we spoke with mother Christine Emerson whose daughter has epilepsy. She's elated the state kept to the deadline and this process is moving forward, but she has some concerns.

Christine Emerson has waited patiently for this day to come. It's a major milestone for New York State and her family. Emerson's daughter Julia has epilepsy. In a matter of months, medical marijuana, shown to significantly decrease grand mal seizures, will be available in New York State including Rochester. But with this good news is some disappointment about the companies selected to dispense it.

"None of them have reached out to any of the parents to see what the need were, what the issues were and I'm just wondering if their heart in the right spot," says Emerson. "Are they looking to do what's right for the suffering New Yorkers especially the children? Sometimes I fear the bottom line is going to be money."

Eight-year-old Julia was diagnosed with refractory epilepsy four years ago. The family has tried 14 different medications and Emerson says none have provided much relief for Julia without significant side effects. She's had as many as 80 seizures a month, but Emerson says it's about more than just getting medical marijuana.

Emerson says, "The biggest thing is quality. Our children are ingesting this and so we have to make sure the quality is there. But in addition to that I do believe the state is going to set a price point, but this may be financially impossible for some families."

But while she is disappointed that some of the companies she was pulling for didn't make it in this round, there is reason to celebrate.

"I get goosebumps thinking about the fact that in months there will be more medicine here to treat Julia," says Emerson. "We just need more tools in our toolbox that will hopefully relieve her of more seizures."

Emerson says medical marijuana is costing some families $500 to $600 a month because it's not covered by insurance. She says the federal government would have to recognize it as a legal treatment option for insurance companies to pick up the cost. That is the next battle for families.

15474.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Family weighs in on medical marijuana licenses decision | WHEC.com
Author: Lynette Adams
Photo Credit: The Associated Press/Brennan Linsley
Website: Rochester, NY news, weather, breaking, investigative and sports headlines | WHEC.com

Back
Top Bottom