Feds Couldn't Pursue Pot Cases If State Law Passes

420AM&PM

Law enforcement leaders in Colorado doubt that federal authorities would have time or resources to prosecute people for possessing small amounts of marijuana if Amendment 44 passes. The ballot measure would make it legal to possess an ounce or less of marijuana under state law.

CBS4 asked the tough question: If Colorado's marijuana law is changed, will all pot enforcement go up in smoke?

"Would it be legal if Denver officers ended up enforcing federal law in that regard, or are they going to have to go to the feds if that happens?" CBS4 asked Attorney General John Suthers.

"They could write somebody up, but they would have then go to the United States attorney and ask them to prosecute the case," Suthers answered. "And I'm telling you right now, the United States attorney has a threshold, I used to be the United States attorney, and I think their threshold used to be about 100 plants. They're not going to take possession of an ounce cases."

"Can a local entity enforce federal law?" CBS4 asked a local Drug Enforcement Administration agent.

"There aren't enough federal resources on the entire planet to handle ounce size marijuana possession," Jeffrey Sweetin, a DEA agent said. "Your viewers should understand if this passes, we're really legitimately legalizing an ounce of marijuana. They're not going to be prosecuted."

The U.S. attorney's office and the DEA told CBS4 resources would still go toward prosecuting bigger drug cases.

Denver police said they hadn't researched the issue. Denver officers have been prosecuting local marijuana offenders under state law since earlier in the year when a city initiative passed that made possessing an ounce or less of marijuana legal under city code.

Newshawk: 420AM&PM - 420 Magazine
Source: CBS4Denver (CO)
Pubdate: Sep 21, 2006
Author: Alan Gionet
Copyright: © MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Moving in a safe direction. It is good to read that these situations are being addressed in a reasonable manner with a due diligence process . The financial aspect was considered by the Denver Police and other agencies. Times are changing and so must the laws in which we are held accountable for.

Back
Top Bottom