First Grow, Will This Setup Produce Well?

jovaow

Closet Grow Around 5 feet by 5 feet 10 feet high

Everything is ordered I will be getting
1 200 Watt Blue CFL with 6500K
1 200 Watt Red CFL with 2700k
Trio Pack of Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom
FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil
The closet is completely white with a vented door
pH Tester
Unsure of best way to germinate seeds though

Any other info on what else I will need would greatly help

Ok, my personal favorite. First and most important thing to do is, finish your build out of your grow space. Once your plants sprout, you will not be able to stay ahead of them. Build it out, run it for a few days and confirm you have control of temperature cycle. 75 to 82f is a good range. Stock all your grow containers or w/e you're going to grow in. 1 pint and 1 gallon pots for each plant will get you through the first 4 weeks.

To germinate my way, you will need these items:

Hydrofarm CK64060 Hot House with Heat Mat
51qx-HAJnQL.jpg

Jiffy 5048 36-Plant Pellet Refill
91HyhNdOm5L_SL1500_.jpg

A meter to test nutrient concentrations, like a ppm or tds meter.
Some ph down, like white distilled vinegar.

Assuming 6 seeds, prepare about a pint and 1/2 of solution, ph 5.8 water with base nutrients to 100 ppm above your waters base ppm. I use tap water, no filtration. It has about 170 ppm which is mostly useful minerals.

Soak 6 jiffy pellets in the solution until drenched and fully expanded. Use a sterile implement like a toothpick to poke a hole 1/2" deep in each pellet [now pods]. Place one seed pointy end down in the bottom of each hole and cover over with some of the wet peat. Don't pack it, just bury it. You want the seedling to have to work a bit to emerge, but not too much.

Put the pods in your fridge overnight. The next day, put them in the domed tray, vents closed, on the heat mat, and plug in the mat. Room temp should be 69 to 72 f. Put a fluorescent light directly over the dome, very close, but not so close it adds heat.

In 36 to 48 hours you will have sprouts. Sometimes it will take longer. Don't be impatient. Crack open the dome vents about halfway. Monitor the moisture of the pods twice daily. When they feel light, dip the bottom of the pod in plain water, ph 5.8. Don't soak them, just get the bottom wet. This will draw the roots down without drowning them.

2 days after you have sprouts, turn off the heat mat. Open the vents all the way. Keep in room temp of 72 to 75f.

When roots emerge from the bottom of the pods, transplant to 1 pint pots.

Since I use coco, don't have any recommendations for nutrients for your soil. Maybe some soil user will contribute, or you can go read that link I posted.

The key thing is, don't start your seeds until you have planned out every detail, or you will be playing catch up the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom