First time grow with yellow and brown spots

ReekGORE

420 Member
Hey all im doing a relatively low maintenance grow with a few plants, all have been doing real well up until a few says ago. My blue dream plant started to have yellowing leaves with tiny brown specks coming up from the bottom. I did some research and thought maybe it was a cal-mag deficiency, but after using some Cal-Magic doesn't appear to be getting better and is progressing, attached are a few of the leaves i plucked

Attachments

• 20200904_164714.jpg
    20200904_164714.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 40
I don’t know that brand, it it does like a little like Cal/Mag issues. If adding Cal/Mag didn’t stop its progress, chances are you have a build up (likely K) that is causing lockout. If that is the case, you will need to flush the medium with 2 to 3 times the capacity of the pot, with water to rid the built up salts. Then continuing feeding.

Pictures of the entire plant would help give you a better diagnosis

Yes Ca is immobile, but Mg is mobile. Most refer to that yellowing/brown spots as CalMag deficiency because that’s what is sold to fix the issue, the deficiency is actually just Magnesium. Without going into the whole science behind it (and even in science there is varying degrees of thought) Ca, Mg and K all participate in a delicate balance. through that balance off (by adding too much K, the usual culprit) and you actually get a lockout of one of the other 2 in the soil. The plant will compensate for lack of Mg available in the soil by robbing it from the lower leaves.

The reason CalMag supplements have always been used to fix this, is to re-establish that “menage a trois“ If you just added the needed Mg, then Ca would be locked out (not balanced) so you add both.

Yes Ca is immobile, but Mg is mobile. Most refer to that yellowing/brown spots as CalMag deficiency because that’s what is sold to fix the issue, the deficiency is actually just Magnesium. Without going into the whole science behind it (and even in science there is varying degrees of thought) Ca, Mg and K all participate in a delicate balance. through that balance off (by adding too much K, the usual culprit) and you actually get a lockout of one of the other 2 in the soil. The plant will compensate for lack of Mg available in the soil by robbing it from the lower leaves.

The reason CalMag supplements have always been used to fix this, is to re-establish that “menage a trois“ If you just added the needed Mg, then Ca would be locked out (not balanced) so you add both.
Thanks celt, always a challenge to diagnose.
I like learning.

Funny thing is @Kodiak420 , I never had any interest in plants (other than stands of trees) until I took up using cannabis. But like most things in my life, when I decide to do something, I jump in with both feet and research as I go :rofl: I’ve leaned more about plant biology and light quality than I ever would have imagined given a back ground in construction and having specialized in concrete most of my life lol

Its a bit hard to get the whole plant with this phone. I flushed the plant using a root enzyme and waited fot it to dry out, and continued feeding and now its getting worse.. Dont have a digital meter for ph but the tests we've pulles from the root area (top part of soil near feeder roots) have read between 6.0-7.5.. I think maybe its ph is to high and could be causing a lockout?

Attachments

• 20200920_111034.jpg
    20200920_111034.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200920_111026.jpg
    20200920_111026.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200904_191051.jpg
    20200904_191051.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200904_182258.jpg
    20200904_182258.jpg