Gilroy's Fight Against Pot Clinic Continues

Weedpipe

420 Member
GILROY, Calif. -- The Gilroy City Council has once again voted to take legal action against medical marijuana, this time hoping to ban medical marijuana clinics from the city entirely.

The latest action by the city comes after a judge ruled last month against an injunction Gilroy had sought against the MediLeaf marijuana dispensary, which opened without a business permit in November.

The council members voted 4-3 at a special meeting held last week to officially take legal action, which could prolong the battle between MediLeaf and the city well into 2010.

"Sometimes you have to push back, and we're pushing back with respect," said Neil Forrest, of MediLeaf. "There's nothing really to worry about. There's a number of unfounded fears that people may have about cannabis dispensaries."

Forrest added that the latest action by the city council will merely cause the city to spend more taxpayer money at a time when Gilroy can't afford to do so.

But city officials said the costs incurred to uphold its laws are a small price to pay.

In the meantime, MediLeaf continues to operate, and has consolidated its space to prepare for the legal fight ahead.

Forrest said the fight is less about business and more about servicing those in need of medical relief.

"Communities may find a personal difference, but the rights of those who need to be served also must be heard," Forrest said.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: KSBW Action News 8
Copyright: 2010, Internet Broadcasting Systems

Is it not the will of the people to have medical marijuana? Also are the elected legislators not elected to do the Will Of the People? Not there self serving interest. Is it the will of the people that sheriff, county or city commissioner, judge, Prosecutor, clerk or any other elected official start doing the peoples will. Not there own.
Folks if you cannot carry the flag get out out of the parade. Before you get voted out.

The council members voted 4-3 at a special meeting held last week to officially take legal action, which could prolong the battle between MediLeaf and the city well into 2010.

People who utilize Medileaf need to call or write the city of Gilroy and demand that they help the sick and that they deserve safe access to that service. Look at the numbers. It looks as if they have 3 council members on Medileafs side. They just need to educated the other four whom seem to be against it.

City of Gilroy - City Council

They should allow legal dispensaries but they don't at this time. You need to vote the politicians out of office. Until the law changes the dispensary is illegal. No business can operate without a business license, sellers permit, and tax ID number. As it is a illegal dispensary how are they paying taxes? This problem is easily solved. The dispensary can just relocate to a place they can legally do business and offer a delivery service. Every day the police close down places that offer pirated movies and counterfeit goods. This is no different. Illegal is just that.

They should allow legal dispensaries but they don't at this time. You need to vote the politicians out of office. Until the law changes the dispensary is illegal. No business can operate without a business license, sellers permit, and tax ID number. As it is a illegal dispensary how are they paying taxes? This problem is easily solved. The dispensary can just relocate to a place they can legally do business and offer a delivery service. Every day the police close down places that offer pirated movies and counterfeit goods. This is no different. Illegal is just that.

I think the problem is that you refer to this as a business which it is not. I am not sure if the same rules apply to a non-profit as they do to a business operation. The one thing I do know is that a judge has already ruled once in favor of the non-profit.

Medileaf did not just open without going through the proper procedure. This has been going on for awhile. IMO it is ridiculous that there is this type of resistance coming from a city who's whole plan is to attract people (tax revenue) from other cities and believe me, they love their tax revenue. Especially when you have outlet stores, a giant superstore and many other types of large scale businesses. I also don't understand when the cities and counties (excluding San Mateo County) around Gilroy are working with collectives.

I understand that there must be policies and procedures but where do you draw the line? I applaud Medileaf for taking a stand instead of trying to be forced back to the street or back ally. Remember, the score is Medileaf 1, the city of Gilroy 0.

I think the problem is that you refer to this as a business which it is not. I am not sure if the same rules apply to a non-profit as they do to a business operation. The one thing I do know is that a judge has already ruled once in favor of the non-profit.

Medileaf did not just open without going through the proper procedure. This has been going on for awhile. IMO it is ridiculous that there is this type of resistance coming from a city who's whole plan is to attract people (tax revenue) from other cities and believe me, they love their tax revenue. Especially when you have outlet stores, a giant superstore and many other types of large scale businesses. I also don't understand when the cities and counties (excluding San Mateo County) around Gilroy are working with collectives.

I understand that there must be policies and procedures but where do you draw the line? I applaud Medileaf for taking a stand instead of trying to be forced back to the street or back ally. Remember, the score is Medileaf 1, the city of Gilroy 0.

I agree whole heartedly Bone...I'm up in the Redding area and see the same small-town, We will shoot ourselves in the foot before we will bring in much needed revenue and help the sick and dying. I am so sick of these small town council members, who in their moment of opportunity to shine and do the right thing, instead, deny the We The People's voice and do as they may, all the while hiding behind Federal medieval, Reefer Madness generated tactics and tell me it's for my own good. Please, do not piss down my back and then try to convince me it's raining.

If Gilroy council members had to defend their stance with their own personal monies, instead of Joe the Taxpayer picking up the tab, Medileaf would have made them go away a long time back. I also applaud Medileaf. "We shall not go quietly ino the good night...":peace: MF

You say it is not a business but don't they accept money in exchange for marijuana? Legally they need a business license. They don't have one. Don't be mad at me. I did not open a business without the proper licenses and permits. Take it up with city council. You can't open an ice cream shop with out a business license. There is a law against doing business with out a license. If they don't have a tax ID number are they planning to commit tax evasion which is a felony?

Back
Top Bottom