Heat Issue. Please Help! Pics included

sportsman9987

Okay so here is background info and problem:

Background: I am growing in a grow box i designed using 2 home depot cardboard boxes. The dimensions on my box is roughly 18 inch by 18 inch and maybe 2 1/2 ft tall. Currently i have a 100w HPS in the box but before i had 6x 23 watt CFL Both of these were creating a heat issue. For ventilation i have 2x booster 4inch inline fans i bought from home depot. They should have more then enough CFM to get rid of the heat but im having problems... I also have 1 computer fan for an intake.

Questions: I have mylar on the inside of the box. Now my thermometer says its about 90 degrees but when i feel inside the box it certainly doesnt feel that hot. Is it possible the mylar is reflecting heat rays at the thermometer giving it an unnacurate rating? Slash is the myler creating more heat? My plants seem to be growing fine but you can judge for yourself il put some pics up of the whole setup cause i hate when people dont provide good visual images for solving problems. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know. Also stealth is a high priority, i used to have carbon scrubbers on the vents/ black panty hose to get rid of light but it was getting to hot so i took it down.

Additionally: The box is in a closet that is closed so it does get hot in the closet after a while, i try and open up the closet when i can get fresh air. Possibly its getting hot because not enough fresh air is being vented into the closet?? Just some thoughts iv had...

Grow box
1105091716.jpg

Outtake
1105091716a.jpg

Plants
1105091716b.jpg

100w HPS bulb
1105091717.jpg

Close up of plants for fun haha:
1105091717a.jpg

I would be very afraid to have a 100 watt HPS bare bulb in a cardboard box. Big fire hazzard.

Your heat build up is likely do to not enough fresh air. If you are just recycling the heated air in the box the temp will never go down. Your fresh air intake needs to draw in air that is cooler than the temp in your box. If possible do not exhaust your hot air into the same space you draw in fresh air.

ya i was concerned about the fire hazzard as well. Now you have confirmed that i will be siwtching out that HPS with my CFL's again soon. and ya i need to find a way to get fresh air i just dont know how i can do that atm... ill do some thinking and figure it out. Thx man. If anyone else has ideas id be glad to hear them. Also how you thnk the plants are doing? There 1 week into flower

Back
Top Bottom