Highland Park Marijuana Shops to Remain Open, For Now

Jacob Bell

Highland Park's two marijuana dispensaries have been entered in a city wide lottery to will determine which 100 of Los Angeles' 377 medicinal pot shops will be allowed to remain open.

There are currently two registered medical marijuana dispensaries operating in Highland Park, the Green Earth Collective on 5045 York Blvd. and the Highland Park Patients Collective on 5716 N. Figueroa St.

The Los Angeles Times on Thursday released a database listing every medical marijuana dispensary in the city of Los Angeles, detailing 141 which have been ordered to shut down immediately for failing to properly register for the lottery.

Among those Northeast L.A. dispensaries that have been ordered to shut down immediately is the House of Kush Collective on 1632 Colorado Blvd. in Eagle Rock, the Organic Healing Center Inc. on 1733 on 1733 Colorado Blvd.,
and the Modern Exceptions Corp. on 2775 W. Broadway, 90041.

After nearly three years of discussion around how to limit the number of medical marijuana dispensaries in the city, the Los Angeles City Council voted 9-3 in January in favor of an ordinance that will shutter hundreds of the shops.

Jocelyn Candelaria, 22, who works at the Highland Park Patients Collective, which is run by her parents, said her family has been dealing with city's efforts to hamper medical marijuana dispensaries since they opened in 2006.

"My parents have been going through [regulation] ever since they opened. They started in Monrovia, and the city kicked them out of there," she said. "They just takes the hits as they come."

One of the city council's main arguments for shutting down so many of the dispensaries is that the shops are a target for criminal activity.

Candelaria admitted that her parents' shop has been robbed in the past, but she pointed out that several other non-pot shops in the neighborhood have been targeted as well.

"I think it's just a matter of us being in a big city, I don't think it has anything to do with the shop," she said.

Asked what she would do if the shop was forced to shut down, Candelaria said she wasn't too concerned about that just yet.

"I'll probably just look for another job," she said.

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: highlandpark-ca.patch.com
Author: David Fonseca
Copyright: Patch
Website: Highland Park Marijuana Shops to Remain Open, For Now

Back
Top Bottom