How Do I add Ventilation to my Grow Area, What Can I Do about Smell?

asmond, nobody can help u w/out any info. we JUST found out u have a tent. what size? where, in u're house, is u're grow? attic...basement...spare room? what type & what wattage is u're light? r u growing in soil...hydro...inert media? we just don't have enough info to help!

More than likely you will need to direct/exhaust the carbon scrubbed air out of the tent not due to smell reasons but for heat reasons. Bring new, fresh/cooler air in and remove the hotter, carbon scrubbed air.

If we follow the air, it should go like this:
(things I marked with "*" are optional)

carbon filter*
4-6' of non-flexible duct*
booster fan
aluminum flexible (dryer) duct*
bulb enclosure
aluminum flexible (dryer) duct*
exhaust
booster fan
carbon filter

I got a cleaner setup this time around:

light_and_ventilation.jpg

SmokyMacPot
You are the bomb. I like your info and shall pack it away with all my other info so I can start to grow indoors. Mahalo. loved your thread.:thumb:

ok i got a 48"x24"x60" mylar tent im going to be growing three plants at a time maybe four in 5 gallon buckets. they are going to be blue hash and blue widow. i have a 400watt hps bulb with a 400 watt ballast. i will be growing in soil. i have a 4in 80 cmf inline fan. and am getting a 6in 240 cmf inline fan and scrubber. the scrubber specs are
Flange Diameter: 6"
Height: 14"
Carbon Height: 12"
Width: 10"
Carbon Thickness: 2"
Maximum Airflow: 350 CFM
Carbon Volume: 603 Cubic Inches
Carbon Rating: RC-48
Iodine Absorption: 1050mg/g

now my q is is this is this enough ventilation?
will this get rid of the stinky?
how would i set this up properly?

Newb checking in here. I have a 4x4 gorilla tent and a ds xml 350. I can figure out grow medium and all that jazz. What I need are specific recommendations for ventilation. Goal is zero smell, noise mitigation, and excellent ventilation.

From what I've read on various forums the can-line of filters are very good, and after that (or before) is diy. I'm not real handy though. Does anyone have anything bad to say about the can-line? I know I need fans at a minimum 128 CFL. Should I get two of those fans and one can filter? What about ducting? Any specific recommendations for low noise quality fans?

1 fan & 1 filter for extraction should do it. just be sure to have an inlet (fresh air) no bigger than the exit fan &, of course have the fan connected to the filter. as far as noise, u should be ok in a tent. just don't attach metal parts to the frame directly. hope this helps

Thanks Paw Paw. So the idea is that the single inline fan will exhaust air from the room while simultaneously drawing fresh air without the need for a second inline fan? Is that what is meant by "passive intake?"

For clarification, when you say the inlet should be no bigger than the exit fan, are you referring to the diameter of the ducting? Why is that important?

Also, can anyone speak to the titan 3 fan controller vs. the titan 4? My understanding is that the titan 3 is better for the fan motor because its an ON or OFF controller where the titan 4 has variable speed, which will insure constant air exchange but will potentially damage the motor.

ok, the 4 speeds won't damage the motor...it's a different winding & well, they built it that way. can't speak for the brand but don't get sucked in by all the hype of 1 brand over another (everybody's trying to sell their own stuff). it's the same w/nutes, too much hype. on size of opening the inlet should be just wee bit smaller than the outlet so as to create what's called negative pressure. just set up the tent, fan, filter. turn it on & watch the tent sides pull in. adjust the inlet till it's barely pulling the sides in & u're set. (close up the tent 1st, of course) u prolly won't need a duct on the inlet (inlet should be one of the flaps near the bottom, as hot air rises). i use the cheapie duct fans from lowe's, about $20/25 & replace every year when i replace the carbon filter. they advertise they last up to 18 mos. the key words are 'up to', so i never take a chance. this is assuming u plan to grow all year round. remember rule #1) NEVER TELL ANYONE THAT U GROW. if u want to show off u're grow....do it here. u should be set.....good luck!

I have a 45cf closet with a 97cfm computer fan. Im running hot,between 90-95 w/ lights on. Want to add second computer fan. Should I add it inline with the first? Also if the cfm is different than the first should the higher cfm go 1st or 2nd?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom