IL: Medical Cannabis Could Be Harder To Access

Ron Strider

U.S. Attorney Jeff Sessions is working to make medical marijuana harder to access throughout the nation.

On Monday, a letter was released where he proposed undoing federal medical marijuana protections currently in place.

Chris Stone, the CEO of HCI Alternatives a medical cannabis dispensary, said they serve around 500 patients a month. Many of those patients use the medication to alleviate chronic pain.

"I would not be able to get up and move," said April Nicole Cooley. " I would be sitting on the couch in front of the TV like a vegetable just wasting away."

Cooley has fibromyalgia and said she struggled for years to control the symptoms. Those include chronic muscle pain, a stiff body, as well as exhaustion.

"I was on morphine, it almost ruined me," she said.

Cooley said that now instead of relying on an opiate, she has a natural remedy to cure her pain, medical marijuana.

However, in the letter from U.S. Attorney Jeff Sessions, he called cannabis a "gateway drug".

Stone said that is unreasonable.

"50-percent or more of patients come in and say we've been on 'X' number of pills and the funny thing is they have to take one pill and then have to take another pill to deal with the side effects of the first one and they end up having to take ten or twelve or fifteen pills," said Stone.

He worries that if Sessions is able to have legalization of marijuana revoked, his patients will rely on other relief methods like opioids.

Prescription_Marijuana_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Cannabis Could Be Harder to Access | WRSP
Author: Cymphanie Sherman
Contact: Springfield Contact WCCU | Decatur Champaign News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WRSP
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: Springfield Decatur Champaign News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WRSP

Back
Top Bottom