Illinois: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coming To Quincy

Jacob Redmond

A medical marijuana dispensary is coming to Quincy later this year and it has Tri-State residents and the mayor talking.

The specific spot of the dispensary isn't known yet, but it would be near 48th and Broadway. The company Herbal Remedies LLC received its license Monday.

License holders Bob Lansing and Christine Wildrick plan to sell medical marijuana they legally have to get from cultivation centers in Illinois.

Mariana Roberts says a medical marijuana dispensary is not something she wants around her family when she goes to the grocery store.

"Definitely uneasy," Roberts said. "Just knowing it's around. I have a one-year-old and he comes in here all the time and I don't really want him around that kind of stuff."

Others like Charlotte Clark, who is a nurse, think medical marijuana can be the answer for people who are suffering like her father who battled chronic pain and side effects of prescribed medication.

"He didn't eat real well," Clark said. "He lost a lot of weight and I just think if it's legal and the government approves it then it should be an option for terminally ill people who are suffering."

Mayor Kyle Moore says this is unchartered territory for him and the city and he has some concerns with the new laws.

"Am I comfortable with how it was implemented?" Moore said. "Not really, but do I think it's going to have a drastic negative impact on our city? Not at all."

Moore hopes it's not a slippery slope.

"We want to make sure we are not seeing a rise in addictions and were not seeing more people check themselves in," Moore said.

The dispensary wouldn't open for at least three months, but once it does it'll employ 13 to 15 people. One percent of profits will go to Quincy Public Schools and another one percent to a veteran affairs health care facility.

Medical_Marijuana_1.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana dispensary coming to Quincy - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio
Author: Andy Devine
Photo Credit: George Prentice
Website: HOME - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Back
Top Bottom