Kalispell Places Temporary Ban on Medical Marijuana Businesses

Medical Marijuana providers in Kalispell are angry over a temporary ban on setting up shop inside city limits. The city council approved the ban last night.

Driving by a popular Kalispell park, you may never guess medical marijuana is sold just across the street. But, this is where Josh Fox opened his dispensary Golden Leaf Caregivers. He wanted to operate in a safe, open place.

Fox tells the News Channel, "I met people, delivered, had people meet me at my house, met people at their house and it's just not right. It should be more safe and secure."

Fox opened his shop in January, and it may be the last medical marijuana business to open in Kalispell for a while.

Mayor Tammi Fisher explains, "The key question is of course how much regulation can we impose in light of the state statues and that is a fundamental question going forward that needs to be answered."

City officials want to get a better understanding of the state law, and decide where they'll allow medical marijuana businesses. Fisher wants to make sure people's concerns are answered.

Fisher says, "I think that the public is legitimately concerned about the location of marijuana dispensaries and that concern obviously flows from the fact that marijuana has only recently become legalized."

Fox has heard those concerns too. He says he's had hate mail and messages left at his business.

Fox tells the News Channel, "They think I am selling to everybody and I am only selling to patients, to people with their doctor recommended cards. People with pain, people with fused spines and broken hips and Fibromyalgia ."

While he is against the 90 day ordinance, Fox says he's willing to work with the city to help establish laws that will please caregivers and work for Kalispell.

Kalispell's temporary ban will not affect existing shops.

Whitefish issued a similar ban in November. Now, city leaders developed a new plan that maps out where to pit medical marijuana businesses. It's now ready for review.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: News Channel 13
Author: Julie Rogers
Copyright: 2010 News Channel 13
Website: Kalispell Places Temporary Ban on Medical Marijuana Businesses

Back
Top Bottom