Leni's Law: Fight For Medical Marijuana Use Continues In Alabama

Robert Celt

On a good day, Avery Akins is smiling, laughing, and playing with her mother and brother. On a bad day, the nine-year-old with Rett Syndrome suffers from multiple seizures.

"She, at her worst, has suffered 25 to 30 big seizures a day, hundreds of small ones," said her mother Carrie Akins.

Recently, Carrie has been driving from Daphne to Montgomery pushing to get legislators to pass Leni's Law in an effort to help her daughter. The bill is named after four-year-old Leni Young. Her family moved from Alabama to Oregon in order to access medical marijuana CBD oil in hopes to reduce her seizures. They are now pushing to change the law in Alabama and decriminalize the non-high inducing medication. It's a treatment Akins says is her last resort.

"We have failed every drug treatment, she has an implant in her chest that helps stop seizures, we think this will work," she said, "I've seen what CBD has done for so many people. I fear for prosecution in the state of Alabama. If I'm in possession of it, they're going to throw me in jail. Whose going to take care of my child?"

As of right now, Leni's Law has passed the House and is moving forward to the Senate. But, there's one problem. The law has been amended. Originally, Leni's Law was written to allow those suffering to use medical marijuana oil with a THC level of 3%. The House voted to amend it and only allow a THC level of 1%. Akins and other Leni's Laws supporters say this isn't enough and it won't help those truly in need. They are now calling for legislators to amend the bill in the Senate and pass it.

"It has shown that CBD, at that level, isn't enough for a lot of kids," Akins said.

CBD-Oil1.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Leni's Law: Fight For Medical Marijuana Use Continues In Alabama
Author: Jasmine Williams
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom