Longview Hearing To Address Medical Marijuana Gardens, I-502

Truth Seeker

The Longview Planning Commission is holding a public hearing Wednesday regarding proposed zoning for medical marijuana gardens inside the city limits.

The timing of the public hearing has nothing to do with the general election, according to city principal planner Steve Langdon. Tuesday, state voters will consider Initiative 502, which would legalize marijuana possession for those over 21 and create a legal and taxed market for the drug.

However, the city must have a plan ready to allow the gardens in case voters reject I-502. After the Legislature made the gardens legal in July 2011, the Longview City Council declared a temporary ban on gardens within the city limits until it had adopted regulations for them.

"We can't keep the moratorium going on forever. We have to show we're working on the issue," Community Development Director John Brickey said last month.

The Planning Commission was tasked with recommending zoning for marijuana gardens to the council.

The commission drafted a new Longview zoning code chapter that would allow medical marijuana gardens only in areas zoned light industrial and mixed use commercial/industrial. All gardens would have to be indoors within a fully enclosed and secure structure built of solid material and with lockable doors. (Plastic sheeting or a similar product would not be adequate.)

Collective gardens could produce marijuana for a maximum of 10 patients, a maximum 15 plants per patient and a maximum of 45 plants per garden. Each garden could take up a maximum of 150 square feet.

Gardens would need barred windows, burglary alarm systems and exterior lighting of all entrances. Medical marijuana could not be distributed between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m, and marijuana paraphernalia could not be displayed or sold on site. Minors would not be allowed on the premises and consuming marijuana or alcohol at the garden would be prohibited.

The Planning Commission's 7 p.m. meeting will be upstairs in the council chambers at City Hall, at the corner of Broadway and 15th Avenue.

MMJ8.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: tdn.com
Author: Amy Fischer
Website: Longview hearing to address medical marijuana gardens, I-502

Back
Top Bottom