Man Can Renew Pot-Growing Licence

Canada - An Elmsville man can see the end of his legal travails following proceedings in St. Stephen provincial court.

Judge David Walker handed Adam Troy Dickerson, 28, a conditional sentence of six months for growing and possession of marijuana. He will serve the sentence in the community, rather than in jail, as long as he abides by the terms of the conditional sentence order, Walker ruled.

The conviction will not prevent him from renewing his licence from Health Canada to grow marijuana for medicinal use, the judge determined. After consulting with each other during a break, federal Crown prosecutor Peter Thorn and defence counsel Joel Hansen agreed that Dickerson could still renew his medical use licence despite this conviction.

The RCMP charged Dickerson with the two drug offences, plus unsafe storage of a firearm, after searching his home in October 2008. He pleaded guilty.

On Hansen's advice, he later applied for a permit to grow and use marijuana for pain under the federal Marijuana Medical Access Regulation. Dickerson suffers from spondylitis, a disorder of the vertebrae.

Health Canada granted the permit, but the rules don't allow people convicted of designated drug offences after getting these licences to renew them. The Canadian court system doesn't enter convictions, technically, until sentencing - after Health Canada granted Dickerson his licence.

Hansen argued that Walker should stay the charges to prevent what he called an "absurd" outcome.

Until the federal government enacted the medical use regulation, judges sometimes stayed drug charges to allow people to use marijuana medicinally, both lawyers and the judge agreed Tuesday.

With the regulation in place, judges should issue these stays far more rarely, Thorn argued. Walker agreed. He declined to issue a stay in this case.

The designated offences for refusing to renew medical use permits don't include production and simple possession, Walker said. A trafficking offence would have been another matter, he and the lawyers agreed.

With no evidence before the court on whether Dickerson grew the marijuana for recreational use, medicinal purposes or for trafficking, the court must give him the benefit of the doubt, Thorn conceded.

He argued for a jail sentence, but didn't object to Dickerson's serving it conditionally in the community.

"We have a gentleman who was growing a substantial amount of marijuana," Thorn said.

The RCMP seized 125 grams or marijuana plus 38 plants. Dickerson's medical user licence allows eight plants, Thorn said.

"The message is: Look at the regulation, see your doctor and do it the right way," he said.

In the conditional sentence order, Walker ordered Dickerson attend an assessment and, if ordered, take counselling for addiction issues and exploring alternatives to pain control.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Telegraph-Journal
Author: Derwin Gowan
Copyright: 2010 CanadaEast Interactive, Brunswick News Inc

As a fellow canadian I have to say he should have done it the right way but I have heard a lot of people have a ton of trouble with there Dr's williness to sign our forms. I have heard peolpe actually say they consider growing it based on Health canadas regulations and if htey get in trouble they would have there Dr subpeonaed and have him testify to there illness and why the Dr would not agree to medical marijuana as many Dr have told there patients that they need a special licence , or that they are members of CSAM which is a canadian organization of DR's who are involved in addiction medicine, or in otherwords prescribing addictive meds and supervising there patients use very strictly. But the point is many DR's still are hesitant to prescribe cannabis over opiates because of pressure coming from somewhere. Luckily there are a few really good Dr's in the toronto area who are supporters of medicinal cannabis.

Cateros,
Are you okay with PM-ing me on how to get in touch with one of those docs.
Thanks,
Cheers!

Actually I can tell everyone on this forum one of the best ones names as he has had several articles written about him from letters he sent to the editors.
His name is Dr David Saul actually Ill post a copy of one of his letters .....
This is a copy of a letter to the editor he wrote to the national post

As a medical doctor and an advocate of legalized marijuana for medicinal
purposes, I have to disagree with Carl Anderson's letter about the "terribly
flawed" medical marijuana system in Canada. The "system" for obtaining medical marijuana access from Health Canada is solely between the patient and the doctor. Health Canada's Medicinal Marijuana Access Program (MMAP) is not poorly planned or run in bad faith. It is however understaffed, and that results in a 16-week delay in processing the initial enrollment forms. But the approval for my patients to obtain, use, grow or designate a grower is guaranteed when I sign my name to the form.

The issue with cannabis or any drug MDs prescribe becomes a clinical medical
decision and no one at the MMAP can ever interfere with that.

Dr. David Saul, Toronto.

Dr Saul is kick ass he deal with Fybromyalgia, mens health , and chronic pain issues to tell ya the truth he is my Dr as well and luckily the 2nd Dr I ever talked to about getting my exemption to be able to see Dr saul you will need to have your Dr make a referral for you tell your Dr that you are interested in mmj if he wont sign then tell him you would like him to refer you to Dr saul as he is an advocate of mmj as well as very knowledgable about its use.

I dont believe your Dr can refuse to do this as he has taken a vow to ease pain first then do no harm to refer you to another Dr who is experienced in the use of mmj he is able to fufill both vows and not have to sign the form himself.

Dr sauls practice is in North york ontario which is a small burough on the north end of toronto.

Back
Top Bottom