Marijuana Farms Considered In Deerfield

Truth Seeker

Massachusetts' new medical marijuana laws have some Franklin County farmers exploring the possibility of becoming growers.

Deerfield is one of a couple towns that have not passed a moratorium for growing and distributing medical marijuana which makes it a strong candidate for those looking to get started in the business.

It's regulated the same as prescription medicine from a pharmacy. But cultivation of marijuana doesn't require a special permit for zoning in Deerfield because it's agriculture. Now in the first phase of the Massachusetts application process to grow, the town of Deerfield has received a couple of inquiries.

Some officials say like any agricultural business, the cultivation of marijuana would thrive in Deerfield's rich soil and it would help farmers that have been struggling financially.

The Town of Deerfield's Building Commissioner and Zoning Officer, Richard Calisewski says this is something that has sparked a lot of interest in town.

"Farmers who are in a depressed mode from hurricane Irene could possibly benefit from cultivating and raising this, and it's a controlled substance. And I don't really see a problem."

One of the inquiries has come from Pioneer Gardens on Mill Village Road, where they currently grow an assortment of perennials.

Owner of the neighboring Bars Farm down the road, Allison Landale, says she has no problem with the prospect of marijuana being farmed nearby.

"I don't have a problem with Pioneer Gardens doing it. I think if it's handled right and run properly. That's fine with me.

People hoping to open a dispensary in Massachusetts have until August 22 to hand-deliver their application to the state Department of Public Health.

Medical_Cannabis15.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: wwlp.com
Author: David McKay

Back
Top Bottom