Mashpee Officials Support 6-month Delay In Medical Marijuana Law

Truth Seeker

Mashpee Police Chief Rodney Collins and the Mashpee Board of Selectmen agreed on Dec. 17 to sign a joint letter to the Massachusetts Municipal Association (MMA) supporting a delayed implementation of the state's new medical marijuana law until July 1.

Although the law is supposed to take effect on January 1, the Board of Selectmen agreed with the police chief's concerns about this implementation date

"Law enforcement has attempted to seek answers to some legitimate questions so that enforcement actions are consistent with the applicable law. Ultimately, rulings from courts may determine such answers, but they do not provide critical guidance for action upon effect of the law. I believe a prudent approach is to resolve any outstanding issues with physicians, health care professionals, personal caregivers, medical marijuana treatment center agents, and law enforcement personnel," Collins said at the Board of Selectmen's Dec. 17 meeting.

"I have always respected the will of the people. ... The intent of the people in the commonwealth of Massachusetts is clear. I don't believe it is necessary to undo what has been done. But as a professional, I believe it is wise to move cautiously so that we are all on the same page in understanding the consequences and parameters of the law," he added. "Such a delay in implementation may enable the professionals tasked with administering and enforcing the impact of this law to proceed more effectively without compromising the ballot question's original intent, other than a specific date."

Among the regulatory issues that Collins said must be resolved through the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH):

· The quantity of marijuana that could reasonably be presumed to be a 60-day supply for qualifying patients.

· Registering non-profit medical marijuana treatment centers to acquire, process, possess, transfer, transport, sell, distribute, dispense, and administer marijuana for medical use.

· "Hardship" Cultivation registrations for qualifying patients without "reasonable" access to a medical marijuana treatment center due to verified financial hardship or physical incapacity.

· Issuing medical marijuana designation cards for patients and designated caregivers

The Board of Selectmen unanimously agreed that a six-month implementation delay would give the state time to create the local regulatory frameworks needed for Mashpee and other municipalities to effectively enforce the new law.

MMJ_Shop1.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: wickedlocal.com
Author: Scott Giordano
Website: Mashpee officials support 6-month delay in medical marijuana law - - The Bulletin

Back
Top Bottom