Medical Marijuana a 'Con,' U.S. Deputy Drug Czar Says

Spliff Twister

But Supporters of Measure Say Pot Offers Relief

The nation's deputy drug czar on Friday said proponents of the medical marijuana initiative on the Nov. 7 ballot are playing to voters' sympathies to pass a dangerous measure.

"It's a step backwards in South Dakota and a step backwards nationally," said Scott Burns, deputy director of White House National Drug Control Policy, who spoke to reporters Friday. "Do not fall for the con."

If voters approve Initiated Measure 4, South Dakota would join 11 other states that allow some medical patients to grow and smoke marijuana to help ease their medical problems. Residents of those states still can face federal drug charges.

Conditions that could qualify under the measure include cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, severe or persistent muscle spasms and multiple sclerosis. The state's health department also could approve other qualifying medical conditions.

Proponents of the measure say making marijuana available to sick people would keep them from having to go to the black market for their medicine.

"We really need this for patients who are truly ill so they can have another means of release," said Valerie Hannah of Deerfield, who uses marijuana to ease the chronic pain of nerve damage.

Hannah - who served as a combat medic in the first Gulf War - said she is permanently disabled from exposure to nerve gas, and marijuana is the only drug that helps.

"I get a mild euphoria, but nothing like I had when I was on painkillers," Hannah said. "My nerves stop hurting; I don't feel the burning sensations that I get."

Law enforcement officials said Friday that they fear legalizing marijuana for use by medical patients could lead to more of the drug being used illegally in South Dakota.

"The risk far outweighs the benefits," said Minnehaha County Sheriff Mike Milstead, who opposes the measure. "There's great concern about how easily this marijuana could fall into the wrong hands."

Burns said the United States has seen a 19 percent decrease in teen
marijuana use during the past three years, and legalizing marijuana for medical reasons won't help.

He said state measures such as South Dakota's are a step toward legalizing the drug for everyone, and that's not acceptable, he said.

"Clearly, [drug statistics] can't be helped by making more drugs available," Burns said.

Newshawk: Spliff Twister www.420times.com
Pubdate: Sat, 21 Oct 2006
Source: Argus Leader (Sioux Falls, SD)
Copyright: 2006 Argus Leader
Author: Megan Myers

I for legal medicinal marijuana without question But as I've said before, the community needs to do some serious self-policing. Can we honestly say that there aren't many people who take advantage of the medical marijuana laws for their own profit or buzz? I think not. If your not legit for med mj then stay the hell away from it. Don't give them ammo to use against us. Its not that hard to find marijuana on the underground market.

User it the doctors who decied who is eligible for medical marijauna so who are you more mad at here, the patient who visits a docotr to see if they qualify for medical marijuana or the doctor who recommends it?

Also its not always about being able to get marijauana. I buy more street herb then I do for co-ops. I am also 24 years young, I can run jump sing dance I am 100% phisical healthy but I am a medical marijuajna patient.
I was aproved by 2 diffrent doctors and by the state of California Justice system. I had to present my case infront of a Judge who through me out of his court room for bring up the idea.

So when people look at me and see I'm a medical marijuana patient they think I'm bullshitting just to get out of trouble and go to co-ops but the reality is whith out marijuana i spend 2-3 hours a day throwing up. I have a Hard time getting out of bed because I am so worried about the day.
I have taken numbers of medications for this. From Opiates to heart medication and nothing but Marijuana has helped me.

So What I am saying here is don't judge a book by its cover. Some people may not look sick or be dying but MMJ still helps them and improves the quality of therer life. Is it fair that I should throw up everyday just because I am phisicaly healthy and don't have cancer MS or aids?

Spliff Twister said:
User it the doctors who decied who is eligible for medical marijauna so who are you more mad at here, the patient who visits a docotr to see if they qualify for medical marijuana or the doctor who recommends it?

Also its not always about being able to get marijauana. I buy more street herb then I do for co-ops. I am also 24 years young, I can run jump sing dance I am 100% phisical healthy but I am a medical marijuajna patient.
I was aproved by 2 diffrent doctors and by the state of California Justice system. I had to present my case infront of a Judge who through me out of his court room for bring up the idea.

So when people look at me and see I'm a medical marijuana patient they think I'm bullshitting just to get out of trouble and go to co-ops but the reality is whith out marijuana i spend 2-3 hours a day throwing up. I have a Hard time getting out of bed because I am so worried about the day.
I have taken numbers of medications for this. From Opiates to heart medication and nothing but Marijuana has helped me.

So What I am saying here is don't judge a book by its cover. Some people may not look sick or be dying but MMJ still helps them and improves the quality of therer life. Is it fair that I should throw up everyday just because I am phisicaly healthy and don't have cancer MS or aids?
I'm not mad at anyone except people who don't qualify and doctors who will sign anyone up for some $. It just needs to be real. So there aren't some people who abuse this system? I was not commenting about you, I was commenting about the article. I'm on your side in this. I know you can't judge a book by its cover. I get judged by people all the time just because I'm not always in my wheelchair they think I'm not really disabled.

medpot.gif

No I know you wern't I just wanted to use my self as a example. If you read the atrticle about the Torrance raid they said they saw 15 people go in to that co-op that didn't appear sick I think that was still fresh in my mind as I am from Torrance.

I don't blame people for trying to get there med notes. I agree about docotrs just giving them away thats not cool.

I don't blame people for trying either, if their reasons are legit. I sorta had in mind joe stoner who tries to scam his cert, joe asshole who rips off someones plants and thinks its funny. I've never been near a medicinal outlet so I don't really know what goes on, but I would imagine there are jerks that try and get pot just like kids try to get booze outside a 7-11. I hope I'm mistaken. Perhaps legit patients who pick up a little extra for their friends. People who grow for patients but sell a little on the side. Thats what I mean by self policing. If you see some bs going on then you (generalization) should speak up, perhaps educate the offending ahole. Maybe this already happens, I don't know. It just seems to important a matter to give any real ammo to the opponents who don't mind using lies.

You know in all my visits to co-ops I only saw one person posting up and it was alittle kid homeless looknig girl around 16 or so, hard to tell. User its a wild world here in California. No matter what medical marijuana will alway leak to the streets wether its from fake patients real patient or co-op owners its gonig to happen. Just because people are sick doesn't mean they still don't think about money. In my opinon there is no stoping this. Well mabye one way and that would be to regulate it like tabacco or alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom