Medical Marijuana Grow Operations is Searched

Jacob Bell

A tip about a large marijuana cultivation posing as a medical marijuana operation led to the execution of a search warrant in the North Fork Valley last week.

The search warrant was obtained by the 7th Judicial District Drug Task Force and executed Sept. 7 at the home of Steve Wolcott, 38274 Stucker Mesa Road.

Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee reports that although Wolcott believed he was in compliance with the provisions of Amendment 20, he actually had what the sheriff believed to be an excessive number of live plants, as well as an excessive amount of dried material. Some of the dried material was seized, but the live plants were left as found because of the concern Wolcott was operating in a "grey area." No arrests were made.

"It's a tough case," McKee said. "We're still gathering evidence, and will turn over our findings to the district attorney."

Colleen Scissors, a Grand Junction attorney representing Wolcott, said she has already been in contact with the district attorney's office and CBI agent Jim Fuller.

Wolcott has allowed other caregivers to cultivate marijuana plants on his property. That's one of the "grey areas" McKee was referring to.

"The advice he [Wolcott] got from an attorney in Durango was that other people could use his soil to grow on as long as they were licensed as well," Scissors said.

"If you got a medical marijuana license and you lived in an apartment and didn't have any place to grow your plants, you have to call somebody else like Mr. Wolcott and say, 'Can I grow my plant with my license on your property?"' Scissors explained.

Wolcott did not have any forewarning that the sheriff believed something was wrong with his medical marijuana growing operation.

"Nobody came out and said, 'We don't think this is legal. Do something about it.' They just came out with a warrant," Scissors said.

She echoed McKee's statement that no plants were seized

"They honored that portion of the medical marijuana growing law."

Scissors said there is certainly the potential for criminal charges, but she's hoping for a "happy ending."

With the closure of the last remaining medical marijuana dispensary in the county on Sept. 1, law enforcement officials may find themselves faced with more growing operations. McKee said several sites were located during a recent aerial search. No plants were pulled. Instead, McKee said his deputies will start knocking on doors, looking for compliance with the medical marijuana growing provisions.

"We're not out to harass them," he said. "We recognize they have a constitutional right to grow medical marijuana, but I believe the residents of Delta County have made a clear statement. They don't want anything above and beyond what's allowed by state statute. So when we receive a tip, we're going to conduct an investigation."

abb24.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: deltacountyindependent.com
Author: Pat Sunderland
Copyright: Delta County Independent

Back
Top Bottom