Medical Marijuana Patients Ask Review Panel To Add PTSD To Michigan Law

Truth Seeker

Lillith Gwener survived sexual and physical abuse as a child, but she couldn't make it through a PG-13 movie this week without shaking and sobbing.

Gwener, 46, has lived most of her life with post-traumatic stress disorder, and her symptoms can be triggered by a variety of stimuli. Wednesday night, a violent scene in "The Butler" set her off.

"You're always in fight or flight," she said. "You're always afraid. Like me going to see this movie last night. I'm sitting in a movie and all of a sudden I'm shaking, I'm hyperventilating and I'm going through a pure anxiety attack."

Gwener was one of roughly 20 patients, activists and entrepreneurs who testified Thursday afternoon at a public meeting of the Michigan Marihuana Review Panel, which is considering a citizen petition to add PTSD to the list of debilitating conditions suitable for treatment under the state's voter-approved law.

The Holland resident is certified to use medical marijuana for chronic pain, but she said the medication also has proved effective for her PTSD and insomnia.

"It gives me a moment between the event -- the trigger -- and what my brain does. It lets me take that minute and realize, 'Hey, this is just a movie. I'm not under attack.'"

PTSD, a severe form of anxiety disorder that can result from significant emotional trauma, is often associated with military veterans exposed to the horrors of war. But it is also common amongst sexual abuse survivors and others who have experienced the threat of injury or death.

The state review panel, in a 7-2 vote last month, gave preliminary approval to a citizen petition seeking to add PTSD to the law. Thursday's public hearing was the second step in a three-step process that will culminate with the panel making a final recommendation later this year.

"This is really about having the public hearing and the public voices today," said Matthew Davis, who chairs the panel and serves as the state's chief medical executive. "There will be ample opportunity for comments of the review panel at the next meeting."

Previous process errors have frustrated medical marijuana activists, who say that mismanagement has prevented the state from adding any new conditions to the law since it was approved by voters in 2008.

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs disbanded a previous version of the panel in April because the state had not appointed members in accordance with administrative rules. The panel had voted to add PTSD to the law, but that recommendation was tossed out.

LARA appointed new members in June, but critics pointed out that the composition was still inconsistent with administrative rules. However, LARA appointed an additional member last week, and the panel now appears to be set.

"It's a full panel," said LARA spokesperson Jeannie Vogel. "All per statute."

Only three members, who each serve on the panel in a voluntary capacity in addition to their day jobs, attended Thursday's hearing, but all members will be provided with a transcript of the testimony.

LARA will accept additional written comment on the PTSD petition through October 5, after which members will meet to make a final recommendation.

Cannabis_on_Scale.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: mlive.com
Author: Jonathan Oosting
Website: Medical marijuana patients ask review panel to add post-traumatic stress disorder to Michigan law | MLive.com

Here is yet another EASY example that we as a community of POT HEADS can go after, we all know how this prohibition Senators and Representatives of the PHARMACEUTICAL industry, cause GOD knows they do not represent the people of the United states are always getting themselves wet & sticky over Veterans issues " they love Veterans " blah blah blah (until they come back fucked up ) let make them pass a NATION WIDE law that puts PTSD on a nation wide ALLOWED law for unlimitted Cannabis use for their SUFFERING .

this is EASY people, it's time to fuck with their heads instead of they always fucking with ours~~~

Que viva la revolusion! let's get ourselves free again

Back
Top Bottom