Medical Pot Applications Overwhelm Mich

Mich. - Editor's note: In Part One of this three-part series, Target 8 investigator Ken Kolker's undercover report revealed how the state is violating its own law, and putting legal medical marijuana patients at risk of being arrested. In this report, the state responds.

State health officials overseeing the medical marijuana program say they're overwhelmed, and they expect new patients might have to wait even longer for permits to use.

"Out in the field, it's troubling...it's troubling for patients, it's difficult for them, it's difficult for the caregivers, it's difficult for law enforcement," Celeste Clarkson, head of Michigan Medical Marihuana Program for the state Department of Community Health, told 24 Hour News 8.

The medical marijuana law, passed by voters in November 2008, requires the state to issue approved permits in 20 days, but it's taking much longer than that.

My case is a perfect example: As a recovering colon cancer patient, I applied in mid-December for a state permit to use medical marijuana. More than 60 days later, I don't have a permit, and, I'm told, it could take another month.

Under the law, I could use marijuana now, without a permit, as long as I have a copy of my application, my doctor's approval, and other documents. But state officials acknowledge that some police in Michigan aren't honoring that.

"They're in a Catch-22," Clarkson said of police, "as are the patients and the caregivers at this point in time."

The problem is this: Police can verify that you're legal to smoke pot only through an ID number on the state-issued permit. Privacy laws keep the state from confirming anything by a patient's name.

But, since the state is taking up to 90 days to process permits, many patients have only their completed paperwork -- and no ID number. Police can't verify anything.

Clarskon said if she were a patient, she wouldn't use medical marijuana without the permit, just to be safe.

"I'm going to make sure that every duck is in order before I do anything," she said.

She blames delays on an unexpected flood of applicants. They predicted 5,000 to 10,000 the first year. State officials figured three full-time employees could handle that.

Instead, after 10 months: more than 16,000 people applied, with nearly half still waiting for permits.

"It would have been nice, optimally, to have three more staff," she said. "But in our budget constraints, it would have been a very difficult sell."

She said the three employees assigned to the job work through lunches and breaks. Recently, the state added two temporary workers.

"My staff is working very, very hard, very dilingently to try and get these cards out and processed as quickly as we can."

With a recent surge in patients applying to use medical marijuana, it could get worse, she said.

Clarkson has asked for three more workers but doubts that will happen. And, in April, patients will begin renewing their one-year permits, leading to even more work.

So, what does she tell those who complain about the long waits?

"We apologize and tell them that we are truly doing our best. We're not sitting around eating bon-bons and watching soap operas here."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: WOOD TV8
Author: Ken Kolker
Copyright: 2010 WOOD Television, Inc

So with all this foot dragging, and Denial of Safe Access.

I'm am predicting Future voters should write in Time tables for approved applications and also restrictions on Memorandums against Dispenser's, etc to be included in all Cannabis voter memorandums with fine and penalties to counties and city's who like LA have had over 14 year to sort out issues and are just now doing so.

We have to start thinking even Further outside the box to force the change that the voters are approving and still haven't gotten ANYWHERE!

LOL that will double to 32,000 ..... just legalize it.
I would love nothing more than that,,However, You cant herd politicians...:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom