Medicinal Marijuana Advocate Dies

BluntKilla

Myron "Karl" Mower, a longtime Sonora resident and medicinal marijuana proponent, died Friday at a Fresno hospital. He was 44 years old.

He was born in Washington, D.C. and moved to California when he was four weeks old. He grew up in the Bay Area and moved to Sonora in 1982.

Mr. Mower, a diabetic since he was 9, was brought to trial for illegal marijuana possession in 1998, after Tuolumne County narcotics agents searched his Twain Harte-area home and found 31 marijuana plants growing in his basement and among the vegetables in his backyard garden.

He was allowed to grow marijuana by Proposition 215, a medicinal marijuana law passed by California voters in 1996. But investigators said he was growing more than local laws allowed for personal use.

Mr. Mower said he smoked about eight grams of pot per day to alleviate his near constant pain, subdue his nausea and persistent vomiting, aid him in eating and drinking, and clear his vision so he could make out basic shapes with the less than 10 percent capacity that remained in his left eye. He had been declared legally blind at 21.

He was nevertheless convicted in Tuolumne County Superior Court and sentenced to five years probation and a $1,000 fine. Mr. Mower appealed the decision, eventually bringing his case to the California Supreme Court. In 2002, the high court unanimously overturned his conviction.

The decision was seen as a landmark, more clearly defining the rights of patients and legal procedures in dealing with growers of medical marijuana for personal use.

"What he lived for the most was helping people," said his wife, Laurie. "He was very happy when the court decision was made. Very happy."

Mr. Mower died of respiratory failure as a result of pneumonia. He was placed on a respirator but made the decision to have it turned off earlier last week.

"He didn't want to live on a respirator," his mother, Mary McClinton, said.

Mr. Mower is survived by his wife of 12 years, Laurie; stepson, Michael; mother and stepfather, Mary McClinton and Roger Selsor, of Fresno; brother and sister-in-law, Michael T. and Shelley Mower, of Grants Pass, Ore.; niece and nephew, Mariah and Cameron Mower, of Grants Pass; and mother-in-law, Sherry Johnson, and her family, of Sonora.

No services will be held.

McClinton said she will miss her son's positive nature, even in the face of his pain and adversity.

"I will miss his smile and his phone calls," she said. "He checked in with me every day."

His wife, Laurie, echoed those sentiments: "He had a great sense of humor. Considering how sick he was, he was a trouper. He was like the Energizer Bunny - he just kept going and going."

Donations in his name may be made to the American Diabetes Society, P.O. Box 1131, Fairfax, VA 22038-1131.

Newshawk: BluntKilla - 420 Magazine
Source: The Union Democrat
Pubdate: October 17, 2006
Author: Jerry Whitehead III
Copyright: 2006 Western Communications, Inc

Purpose420 said:
I can't help to wonder, where are all the people like this, and like myself. Are they all afraid? I'm happy as heck to hear about this man. But you know what? I didn't know what a great man he was until he died, that's sad. It's kinda like my friends view on the medical marijuana laws, he said " I would like to know that I was not breaking the law just to live, just one year before I die" why we gotta die before people hear how great of a person he or she was. How much benefit they received from medical marijuana usage, and how it affected their lives. It's just bullshit we have to live like that

You are so right on. Very thoughtful post. Thank you Harry Angslinger, Hearst & DuPont. Your sowing will catch you...

My condolances, late as they are, to the family. Rest peacfully my departed (though unmet) brother!

medMUser

I Would Not Want My Life On A Resporator Either. That Would Suck....
Thats The Only Way We Are Going To Get Our Medical Marijuana Though To Keep Fighting The System And Protesting Untill They Recognize That Everyone Smokes Pot And People Do Feel Better From Smoking It...especially People With Major Health Issues.

thepothead said:
I Would Not Want My Life On A Resporator Either. That Would Suck....
Thats The Only Way We Are Going To Get Our Medical Marijuana Though To Keep Fighting The System And Protesting Untill They Recognize That Everyone Smokes Pot And People Do Feel Better From Smoking It...especially People With Major Health Issues.

We must be educated about how & why cannabis came to be illegal after it was once mandated by US law to be grown. To those who have not read Jack Herer's "The Emporer Wears No Clothes" this is must reading! I also recomend the DVD Grass narrated by Woddy Harrilson. It is a very good basic overview of the cannabis situation. There are more DVDs on the History Channel's website also.

It is important to know the connection between the war on drugs (mostly against low level non-violent users/possesers) & the sythetic pharma companies. SynPharma (nylon,rayon, naugahide ect. & chemical drugs) fight to keep their profit margines intact. They do not care that making plastics ect. leave dangerous by products behind that must be diposed of. Hemp does not. They do not care that their 'drugs' have killed thousands. Cannabis has not. They continue the distortions & lies of Reefer Madness as they know Hemp is a vastly superior source of many hundreds of products even though hemp has little psycoactive benifit. That is why Henry Angslinger, Hurst newspapers & DuPont chemical linked cannabis & hemp together way back in the 30's. All this is in Jack's book & the DVDs I mentioned.

Look up & join NORML, Americans For Safe Access, Christians For Cannabis, High Times, regulatemarijuana.org, Marijuan Policy Project, Drug Policy Alliance, Freedom Activist Network & any others linked on their sites.

Also, though not a cannabis advacacy site, newswithviews.com has a lot of articles about Big Pharma. Go to the bottom of the page, find the site search box & enter 'big pharma'. You will find a lot of info on how the big $$ industry is deceptive & dangerous. What the FDA allows them to get away with is a serious crime that has cost a lot of lives. No one has died from an OD on cannabis. A lot have died from big pharma's garbage drugs...This is info that is important to our education.

Be safe! Fight the good fight, we will win.

medMUser

Also go to LEAP's site (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition). I just got the link from Marijuana Policy Project's site while I was checking out the Nevada attemp to Control And Regulate Marijuana (another site name). You can link to TV News shows there about the Nevada inituitive, # 7.

I am not for taking all drugs. Some, including what Drs. prescribe, are potentally lehtal. (For me the 60s are over in that regard.)I do know the currant apprach (the war on the Constitution, errr, I mean Drugs) is totally lost. The FDA often quoted as finding no evidance that cannabis is useful as a medicine, is in the hip pocket of big pharma. The link to NewsWithViews in my above post helps to document that.

At the LEAP site I learned the US addiction rate has remained constant at about 1.3% of the population since before 1914 to today. So cannabis is obviously NOT a gate way drug.

Good night all! Be safe!

medMUser

Purpose420 said:
medMUser can i get your input on my post whoo hoo 203 guests

I would be happy to give my input, but I am not sure where whoo hoo 203 guests is. I will look around here after I post this.

medMUser

Back
Top Bottom