Moline Won't Ban 'pot Pops'

GoldChico

A proposal to ban marijuana-flavored candy in the city of Moline went up in smoke Tuesday at the City Council meeting.

The council voted 5-3 against outlawing lollipops known as Pot Suckers. The confections, manufactured by a company called ICUP Inc., had been sold at Spencer Gifts in SouthPark Mall in Moline.

Aldermen Bill Adams, 5th Ward; Arcilia Dominguez, 1st Ward; and Scott Raes, 3rd Ward, voted in favor of the ban.

Mayor Don Welvaert had asked that the item be placed on the agenda after Attorney General Lisa Madigan notified him about the sugary treats. However, ICUP later voluntarily decided to stop selling the suckers after numerous news reports statewide about the controversial concoctions as well as a subpoena from Madigan's office.

"These products -- easily accessible to children in stores and malls - -- clearly promote the use of marijuana," Madigan said in a news release. "I am pleased that ICUP made the decision to stop selling Pot Suckers and I encourage other companies to follow ICUP's lead. Candy should not glorify drug use."

Several aldermen said they voted against the proposed law because it seemed irrelevant after ICUP's decision. However, other companies also manufacture marijuana-flavored treats, such as gummy worms and "cannabis" chocolate bars packed with an oily, grassy flavor.

Alderman Michael Carton, 2nd Ward, said Spencer sells numerous products that allude to marijuana use, such as cookie cutters shaped like marijuana leaves, a card game that explores how to grow pot plants and a dice game that proclaims, "Getting busted is just a roll of the dice away."

"If we're going to ban the lollipops, then we need to ban all the stuff that's targeting kids," Carton said. "We've still got this stuff out there."

"Not to be cavalier, but who determines what marijuana tastes like?" asked Alderman Mike Crotty, 6th Ward.

"We actually had a discussion among staff, but nobody would admit to the experience," answered Jeff Lester, city law director.

Welvaert said he believes his intent -- to get the lollipops removed from store shelves -- was accomplished even though the proposed law did not pass. "It would have been difficult to enforce. I think we sent the message, and now those candies are no longer sold in the stores.

"You do what you can do and to that degree, I think we've done what we can do."

A store manager at Spencer in SouthPark who declined to be identified said the suckers generally sold out as soon as a shipment arrived.

Samantha Hughes, assistant store manager at Spencer Gifts in NorthPark Mall, Davenport, said one of the $1.99 suckers remained on store shelves Tuesday. "As soon as we get them in, we're selling them out."

Also Tuesday, the council discussed the possibility of banning cell phone use while driving in the city. Crotty asked that the item be placed on the agenda, but no action was taken.

"We've all driven and been behind someone or been hit by someone who was not conscientious of what's going on around them as they drive," Crotty said.

"I think we should prohibit electric razors and people who pluck their eyebrows, too," said Alderman Dorothy Armstrong, 7th Ward.

Police Chief Gary Francque said a cell phone law would be difficult to enforce.

"I don't think there's any doubt that cell phone usage in a vehicle is becoming a national issue. Whether we would catch many people doing that remains to be seen, but it would make a statement that this is an unsafe practice."

Source: Quad-City Times (IA)
Copyright: 2005 Quad-City Times

Back
Top Bottom