Motl Dismisses Complaint By SafeMontana On Marijuana Ballot Proposal

Katelyn Baker

Montana's Commissioner of Political Practices on Tuesday dismissed a complaint that alleged campaign finance violations by the group supporting an initiative to loosen restrictions on medical marijuana.

The complaint was filed by SafeMontana, a group formed by Billings businessman Steve Zabawa that opposes expanding medical marijuana.

Montana Citizens for I-182, the ballot committee campaigning for Initiative 182, reported raising about $6,300 and spending about $30 between April 26 and September 26.

During the same period, it accepted almost $230,000 in in-kind contributions from the Montana Cannabis Industry Association.

SafeMontana argued that made Citizens for I-182 essentially a shell group, with the Cannabis Industry Association operating as the actual ballot committee.

But Motl ruled the Cannabis Industry Association is an "incidental committee," not a ballot committee because it was not formed specifically to support I-182.

SafeMontana also accused the two groups of engaging in "dark money" activities, because the Cannabis Industry Association did not report enough contributions to cover the amount it spent in support of I-182.

Motl said Citizens for I-182 followed correct procedure because it reported where the in-kind contributions came from and what they were used for, and any issues with reporting were the Cannabis Industry Association's responsibility.

An incidental committee is required to report its expenditures in the same detail as a ballot committee, but not its contributions.

Motl said he would release a separate decision on whether the Cannabis Industry Association had followed disclosure rules, but that might be after the election.

MTNNews1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Motl Dismisses Complaint By SafeMontana On Marijuana Ballot Proposal
Author: Jonathan Ambarian
Photo Credit: MTN News

Back
Top Bottom