Nebraska: Debate Begins On Legalization Of Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

A Bellevue senator who is passionate about the state legalizing marijuana - for medical purposes only - finally got his day to try to convince 48 other lawmakers to join his crusade.

Sen. Tommy Garrett, who made the bill (LB643) his priority, opened debate Thursday this way: This is for the moms.

He told senators they had an opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of Nebraskans who could benefit from medical marijuana.

The National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine in March 1999 said medical research has discovered beneficial uses for cannabis in treating or alleviating the pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with debilitating medical conditions.

Mothers with children who have seizures and other illnesses and conditions, and others brought the bill to Garrett, he said. The hearing drew more than 100 proponents from all over Nebraska and those living in other states.

"It was heart wrenching to hear the testimony," Garrett said. "There are a lot of sick and ailing Nebraskans who are out of options."

Even though senators may differ philosophically on the issue, they all want to make the lives of Nebraskans better, he said.

"If you would have told me a year ago that I would be sponsoring a medical marijuana bill as my priority legislation, I would have told you you were nuts," Garrett told senators.

But he had no idea how many people were suffering with diseases and conditions for which prescription drugs were ineffective, and in which medical cannabis was effective, he said.

Some, including Gov. Pete Ricketts, believe state residents should wait for FDA approval of the drug.

"I would remind you, as if such a reminder is necessary, that Washington, D.C., is not just broke, it's hard broke," Garrett said. "Nothing gets done."*edit*

Twenty-four states, the District of Columbia and Guam have all passed their own medical marijuana laws. Twelve more states are considering such laws.

An amendment advanced with the bill from the Judiciary Committee is modeled after Minnesota's law.

It's a good bill, he said, and alleviates one of the biggest sticking points for senators and members of law enforcement - it does not allow smoking of medical marijuana. It could only be prescribed in pill or oil form.

Ricketts has called marijuana a dangerous drug, and legalization for any purpose a risky proposition.

"In spite of efforts to legalize marijuana for recreational or medicinal use in other states, marijuana remains a federally banned controlled substance whose medicinal value has not been tested," Ricketts said in a recent column.

Legalization by legislation is no substitute for rigorous FDA review, he said, and marijuana should not receive special treatment. It should be subject to the same examination of other drugs by the FDA to study potential adverse effects, appropriate treatment schedules, drug interactions and long-term effects.

While senators have the best interests of Nebraskans in mind, scientific and pharmaceutical experts should fully study marijuana's merits, Ricketts said.

Sen. Mike Gloor has filed two amendments to the bill.

19227.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Debate begins on legalization of medical marijuana : Politics
Author: Joanne Young
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom