Need advice on soil, questions about bat guano, & random questions from a newbie

one arm steve

Hello guys!

I'd like some advice from some knowledgeable people. This is my first time growing outside (I've only gown once indoors). I'm a complete newbie so please excuse my ignorance on some topics.

My first question is about soil. I know the standard mixes found at big-box stores aren't the best way to go. Unfortunately I live hours away from the closest places that sells Fox Farm and similar soils. However, I do have access to fertile farm soil which has been is use for about a century. I've read that this type of soil can work great.

So can I use this type of soil? If so, what are the minimum things you guys would add to such soil? Perlite? Worm castings? I'd really like to stick with stuff that I could buy locally at the farmers market, or lowes, etc..

My second question regards nutrients. I have access to bat guano which another farmer has used for years on his plants. He is going to teach me how to use it properly; I've read horror stories of guano burning plants. Will bat guano keep a plant happy/healthy all the way through flowering? I'm also planning on using molasses, particularly during flowering.

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate input!

-one arm steve

What type of crops do the farmers grow in the fertile farm soil? That may be a great indicator whether MJ will like it or not. If they are growing corn or tomatos, which require lots of nitrogen, you'll be just fine and may not even need the Bat Guano.

What type of crops do the farmers grow in the fertile farm soil? That may be a great indicator whether MJ will like it or not. If they are growing corn or tomatos, which require lots of nitrogen, you'll be just fine and may not even need the Bat Guano.

Thanks for the reply, it has me hoping I'm on the right tract! :thumb: And the guano has luckily already been secured!

We have several gardens with the basics. Corn, beans, tomatoes, etc. But I was actually referencing one of the outdoor growing stickies. The guy said he has great success with soil from grasslands that had been used as farm land at some point in time. The particular field I'm thinking about has just had grass in it for the last 25 years, but it's also had a herd of cattle that's been eating and pooping in the field for those 25 years.

I guess I should clarify, I have LOTS of land I could choose from to pick my soil. If grassland isn't ideal, I can also get soil from basically any land feature you could imagine in Appalachia. Soil from around a creek, soil that's been trapped under layers of dead leaves for years, etc...

Also, any basics you would suggest adding to whatever soil I choose?

Ok, man. Rule of a thumb first, check the colour of your grassland soil. It should be blackish or dark brown if it accumulated humus over the years. It might be loam too, then it's kinda rich brown or light brown, then it's rich in minerals. Dig it up a lil bit with a shovel, take it in your hand, is it loose or tight? Might be sandy or slightly slimy too. Do you have a lot of stones underneath, 1-2 Feet down? Does it smell of something particular? Does it have worms? They are all indications what's in your soil.

Cannabis basically grows on anything, but prefers light, aerated soil full of humus, and quick draining. Try to say if it meets these conditions.

Greetings friends First post, first grow. I need a little help on what my soil moisture should be (and any additional tips) Details are Bag seed in Ocean Forest soil, four 6" pots, indoors, Jungle Juice nutes, 4 T-5 Vita Lume 54 watt HO's, 95% reflector, 2' from top of plants on a 16/8. Bright white poster board on 1 side and end. High temp no more than 85 in room (usually steady @ 81), night time temp 70. Humidity low 50's, good air circulation 24/7, room size 12'x13'x8'. 4 weeks old, 8 9 and 10" tall. Recent changes are larger living space 3'x10' and the switch from 3 125 watt 5000K CFL's to the above mentioned T-5's. I will send pics soon. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom