No Softening of Marijuana Laws

Wilbur

New Minister for Social Rehabilitation Dale Butler has thrown his weight behind Government MP Ashfield DeVent's call for a debate on liberalising marijuana use.
But Mr. Butler, who has the nation's drug agencies under his wing, is against softening the law.
Earlier this year Wayne Perinchief, who was then Minister of National Drug Control (NDC), was defeated in his bid to downgrade cannabis offences.
He had hoped to win Cabinet approval for a law change which would see small-scale first-time cannabis users dealt with outside the courts and helped to rehabilitate.
But yesterday Mr. Butler, who has taken on the NDC brief, signalled the policy would not be changed under the new Ewart Brown government.
He told The Royal Gazette Bermuda was already struggling to cope with the number of drug users and a change would only cause more demand for rehabilitation when people got addicted.
"Why should I as a taxpayer use my taxpayer's money to reform your life?"
He said struggling seniors were more deserving than of taxpayer's cash.
"Research has shown it's a gateway drug to other drugs," he added.
"I doubt we will change our position. Ashfield DeVent could put the issue before the parliamentary caucus tomorrow night. We should not be afraid of putting the issue out there."
But he said once decided the nation should leave the issue alone for five or ten years. "We cannot keep debating it."
Liberalising cannabis use would also raise eyebrows in the States, added Mr. Butler.

Newshawk: User - 420 Magazine
Source: Royal Gazette
Pubdate: 22 November 2006
Copyright: 2006 Royal Gazette

Back
Top Bottom