Noob gow question #8,463,365

CharlieMopps

Sorry, noob here. I just started my first indoor grow. My plants just broke the surface of the soil about 4 days ago and i can see the 2nd set of POINTY leaves forming. Anyway, i want to start giving them 24 hours a day light, but a friend of mine said that'd turn all the plants male. He also said that i should pull all the tallest plants after a couple weeks cause those are probably the males. I don't believe anything he's telling me, what do you guys think?

DO NOT listen to your friend bc those statements are false. 24 hours of light doesnt turn your plants male. if thats the case then most people on this site have been growing males. also just bc one plant is taller than the other, doesnt mean that theyre males. after a couple of grows some people can pick out certain plants in theyre crop and say, that is going to be male and i kno it!!! but there really isnt a way to tell until the plants show you. its true that there is a chance that your most robust plants may be male, but youll never kno for sure until you put them into flowering. dont listen to your buddy, bc you could be pulling a female.

and heres a little advice. dont listen to any of your friends when they give you growing tips unless you kno that they have grown a sucessful crop. and if you doubt them for a second just come here and make sure that what theyre saying is true. pretty soon youll be able to tell when theyre just bullshitting you, and when they really kno theyre stuff

Your friend is wrong. If anything 24 hr of light will promote more females. The tallest plants do have a greater probability to turn into males .....But ......I'd wait and see, just to be sure.

well... if it helps my tallest and healthiest turned out to be female... until both my ladies turned hermi on me

charliemopps said:
Sorry, noob here. I just started my first indoor grow. My plants just broke the surface of the soil about 4 days ago and i can see the 2nd set of POINTY leaves forming. Anyway, i want to start giving them 24 hours a day light, but a friend of mine said that'd turn all the plants male.
Ton's of people veg their gardens with 24 hours of light...even more so for sprouts.

charliemopps said:
He also said that i should pull all the tallest plants after a couple weeks cause those are probably the males.
Males typically do grow faster, but that's not a guarantee that it's a male. Wait for flowering to expose gender.

charliemopps said:
I don't believe anything he's telling me, what do you guys think?
I wouldn't either. Also I wouldn't tell him about my grow operation or what my plans are either. If you have questions 420 Magazine can help with all your needs.

A 24 hour light period is fine for plants in their seedling stage. Once the plants reach 1 week of age I would switch to an 18/6 light/dark schedule.

Also, you must grow out the plants like this for 3-4 weeks before switching to a 12/12 light/dark schedule. Then you can tell what sex each plant is. It is impossible to determine the sex of a plant at only 4 days old.

True , it is impossible to determine sex at such an early age ....because ....they don't actually have a determined sex. Environmental conditions ( light , nutrients , temps, etc. ) will determine the sex as the plant grows to it's sexual maturity.

Thanks guys, this is a big help. I'm gonna take pictures in the next couple days and start a grow journal.
I'm getting very worried that i don't have enough light for all my plants. I've got a space about 7 feet deep by 5 feet wide by 7 feet tall. I'm only using half the floor space to grow, cause i gotta be able to walk through. I'm sprouting 16 seeds. Anyway, i'm growing under four 4 foor fluro grow bulbs. 12,000 lumens total i think. I'm seriously thinking about getting a 400 watt HPS, but it's alot of moneys.

You all say more light is always better. Alright then, anybody know where i can order a 400 HPS on the net?

go to ebay... you can get a 400w for about $80 plus s&h. i really want one, but even 100 or so is too expesive for me right now.

wheres your grow journal

I just got another 2 bulb'er to bring the total up to 6. I'm running 4 that are normal uber brite residential bulbs on the sides, and 2 OTT grow tubes in the middle, just to give it a little spectrum range. I just transplanted the best 10 plants into larger buckets. I also moved my grow room from my attic space to a double sliding door closet. I had to do it cause of security and cause it was hard to keep the temperature stable. I'll have pics up tonight.

charliemopps said:
I just got another 2 bulb'er to bring the total up to 6. I'm running 4 that are normal uber brite residential bulbs on the sides, and 2 OTT grow tubes in the middle, just to give it a little spectrum range. I just transplanted the best 10 plants into larger buckets. I also moved my grow room from my attic space to a double sliding door closet. I had to do it cause of security and cause it was hard to keep the temperature stable. I'll have pics up tonight.
Sweet! It's sounding very exciting. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom