North Dakota Medical Marijuana Advocates Jump One Hurdle, Hits Another

Katelyn Baker

Fargo, ND - Come November, North Dakota voters will decide a hot-button medical marijuana issue. Today, supporters earned enough signatures for a ballot measure.

But on the same day the federal government announced it's still on the fence.

That ballot measure would make it legal for North Dakota patients to possess up to 3 ounces of medical marijuana. It took almost a year to gather enough signatures. But today is still bittersweet for advocates.

In the past year, Rilie Ray and Anita Morgan along with fellow Compassionate Care Act advocates have been canvassing the state,

"4,000 or 5,000 man hours across the state and that's just a rough guess," said Rilie Ray Morgan, Chair, Compassionate Care Act Committee.

gathering enough signatures to put a medical cannabis measure on this year's ballot.

Thursday, the state confirmed they've received enough names. But now, they'll need enough votes.

"We thought we had a lot of work gathering the signatures from Christmas 'til now and it was. But now we have to win hearts and minds," said Anita Morgan, Comassionate Care Act Committee.

In Fargo many say their minds are already made up to vote yes.

"I would vote yes for medical cannabis, yes," said Julie Opgrand, North Dakota Voter.

"I would vote yes," said Karl Larson, North Dakota Voter.

"Yeah, absolutely," said Jason Young, Medical Marijuana Supporter.

But others aren't so sure...

"No, no, no... because I think they'd get pretty addicted to it," said Edward Heiser/North Dakota Voter.

And the federal government shares some of those concerns.

On the same day North Dakota's measure jumps one hurdle, advocates worry a decision from the Drug Enforcement Agency will present a new obstacle.

"Very discouraging..." said Rilie Ray Morgan.

The DEA denied requests to reclassify marijuana. It remains a Schedule I substance in the same category as heroin, LSD and other illicit drugs. The agency says research hasn't proved cannabis safe or effective as a medical treatment.

Rilie Ray Morgan: "It's just unbelievable that they could be that narrow and close-minded about it."

Advocates point to anecdotal evidence. The Morgans say some doctors are even suggesting chronically ill patients in North Dakota become medical refugees for the treatment.

With support from many during petitioning and on social media today the Compassionate Care group says it's feeling confident for a yes vote in November.

"They want that option. And they don't want to be limited by where we live," said Anita Morgan.

The DEA does plan to expand the number of places allowed to grow marijuana for research purposes. The Compassionate Care Act Committee plans to have an educational presentation on the drug this October.

canaoil.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: North Dakota Medical Marijuana Advocates Jump One Hurdle, Hits Another
Author: Catherine Ross
Photo Credit: WDAY 6

Back
Top Bottom