OH: Local Volunteers Launch Signature Drive For Medical Marijuana Ballot Initiative

Robert Celt

Days after a medical marijuana ballot initiative was certified by the Ohio Ballot Board, a group of local supporters launched a signature drive to help collect the more than 300,000 required to make the ballot.

Ohioans for Medical Marijuana held a training session for volunteer organizers Monday in Independence.

Ohioans for Medical Marijuana must now collect 305,591 valid signatures of Ohio voters by early July to qualify for the November 2016 ballot.

The group enlisted the help of a paid signature gathering firm to help with the task, but organizers said meeting the deadline will also require the help of volunteers.

Many of the volunteer organizers are patients who believe they could benefit from legal cannabis in Ohio.

"I actually didn't believe in medical marijuana before I had MS," explained Amanda Candow, who told newsnet5.com that she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis five years ago and it has drastically effected her mobility.

Now Candow is serving as one of the local leaders of the campaign, making phone calls and organizing online volunteers.

"I mean to me, it's a crime to keep something away from somebody that it could literally save their life," Candow said. "And for you to say no because it's illegal."

Candow said there are several ways that volunteers can help collect signatures. Some people collect from friends and family while others collect at public events at a booth with a table.

Other volunteers stand outside sports and concert venues to collect signatures from people walking in and out.

People interested in getting involved can visit the Ohioans for Medical Marijuana volunteer page .

15400.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: OH: Local Volunteers Launch Signature Drive For Medical Marijuana Ballot Initiative
Author: Megan Hickey
Photo Credit: Chris Huber

Back
Top Bottom