OH: Marion Could Be Home To Medical Marijuana Shop

Ron Strider

Marion is being eyed as a possible site for a medical marijuana dispensary, though city council members are debating whether to allow it.

Marion City Council members voiced their thoughts Monday on a proposed medical marijuana dispensary that was brought to the attention of some council members last week.

The Board of Pharmacy begins accepting applications for dispensaries on Nov. 3, the next step in the two-year process of rolling out the state's medical marijuana program after state legislators legalized medical marijuana last year.

Marion County is part of a four-county district where a single medical marijuana dispensary is allowed. The other counties in that district are Crawford, Hardin and Wyandot.

Dispensaries are on track to go online by September next year, serving patients with a medical marijuana recommendation from a certified physician who have one of 21 medical conditions, including cancer, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and pain that is either chronic and severe or intractable, according to the state's medical marijuana website.

Council members said dispensary operators seem to be drawn to Marion County because it is the most populous of the four.

First ward Council member Ralph Cumston said he would not support a dispensary.

"I just think it's dangerous," he said. "I think it's a huge risk for our community."

Council members Rick Huddle, of the 6th ward, and Leslie Cunningham, of the 5th ward, also said they were not in favor of a dispensary in town.

"I'd like to do something to move forward to try to prevent it," Cunningham said.

But at-large councilman Josh Daniels said he believes marijuana can serve a medical purpose and that council members should not rush to decide on an all-out prohibition of medical marijuana dispensaries in the city limits.

"I believe there is a purpose and a benefit of marijuana. I don't think it should be abused, but I think there is some medical application for it," he told the Star Tuesday.

Daniels suggested a moratorium, or a temporary ban, be placed on medical marijuana dispensaries as other municipalities have done so that council can take a close look at the issue.

Two Marion residents also spoke at council, both in opposition to the dispensary.

"Many people could be getting it, claiming it's for medical reasons but using it recreationally and then maybe selling it to other people. I think it would increase traffic in Marion," said Susan Gorenflo. "I don't want people from four counties coming in for that purpose into Marion. We have enough drug problems in Marion. I would rather have Marion be the shining light on the hill and not the place where you go to get your drugs."

Daniels argued that if the city prohibited a dispensary, it wouldn't necessarily prevent the effects of a dispensary from reaching Marion, pointing to neighboring townships with little or no zoning codes where dispensaries could locate.

He suggested that if Marion allowed a dispensary within its limits, the city would have more control over how the dispensary operated.

"You can regulate it how you see fit," he said at council.

Dispensaries are already prohibited from locating within 500 feet of a school, church, public library, public playground, public park or community addiction services provider, according to state law.

Cities may adopt regulations to prohibit or limit the number of dispensaries in their jurisdiction, according to the state's medical marijuana program website.

But City Law Director Mark Russell said it is unclear how far cities can go to prevent dispensaries from setting up shop. He said it is unclear whether cities are allowed to place a blanket ban on marijuana dispensaries.

"That answer isn't out there at the moment. That's why so many cities have enacted moratoriums," he said.

Marion City Council will have committee meetings on Nov. 6, where the issue will be discussed.

Jars_of_Buds2_-_Scott_Lentz.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marion could be home to medical marijuana shop
Author: Sarah Volpenhein
Photo Credit: Scott Lentz

Back
Top Bottom