OH: Troy City Council Votes To Not Ban Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Katelyn Baker

Troy, Ohio — The Troy city council votes to not ban businesses wanting to sell medical marijuana in town.

Before the decision, Troy resident Aimee Shannon spoke to council members and asked them to not prohibit the sale of the drug.

"I'm grateful that they're willing to put things on hold and give us a chance to reevaluate," she said.

Since it didn't pass, it's back to the drawing board for the city's planning commission. It'll look into where potential medical marijuana dispensary sites could be located.

Council President, Martha Baker says it's an issue that has city leaders split.

"We have those on council that believe we should be offering it, have it for sale in the city and you have those who believe it should be totally banned," Baker said.

For residents like Aimee Shannon, who's looking for relief from her long list of medical conditions, she's also seeking some comfort in the council's decision.

"Medical marijuana is an option I want to have an opportunity to try. I don't want to travel 200 miles to get to it, I feel like there's no reason I can't get to it within my own city and I think it's a valid option for many people," Shannon said.

In the summer, Troy issued a month moratorium, which suspends all applications for any business involved in medical marijuana expires mid-January.

Officials say in its next meeting, there will be a vote to extend it for another 6 months to continue to carefully consider how medical marijuana industries could impact the city.

Capture173.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Troy City Council Votes To Not Ban Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
Author: Tyler Utzka
Photo Credit: WDTN

Back
Top Bottom