Ohio Medical Marijuana Group Gains The 1,100 Petition Signatures It Needed

Truth Seeker

The movement to put medical marijuana on the state ballot is gaining momentum as supporters of the Ohio Cannabis Rights Amendment will deliver 1,100 signatures to Attorney General Mike DeWine later this month.

The bill would legalize medical marijuana for qualifying residents and allow farmers to grow industrial hemp.

Once the signatures are validated by the attorney general, the ORG will need to collect 385,000 signatures of registered Ohio voters to place the amendment on the November ballot.

With only two months into the petition, ORG president John Pardee, of Amherst, said the response has been overwhelming.

"This has been a life-altering experience," he said. "I've never been involved with something like this, but to meet all these people who have come from every walk of life; cancer patients, veterans. I expected a lot more resistance, but I can't tell you how many people come to me and tell us to keep going."

Pardee's involvement with the ORG started after his son, Jason, was seriously injured in a near-fatal car accident in Florida five years ago. Doctors prescribed Jason a slew of high opiate painkillers, all of which caused terrible side effects, Pardee said.

"On his own, outside any medical intervention, my son discovered that medical cannabis worked better to make his life livable than anything his capable physicians could provide," Pardee said.

A bill for cannabis rights has never been on the ballot in Ohio. Pardee hopes working with state and local politicians will create awareness of the benefits of medical cannabis.

Lorain County Commissioner Ted Kalo and Lucas County Commissioner Pete Gerken were the first county politicians to endorse the Ohio Cannabis Rights Amendment during its inception in March.

Kalo said the movement has attracted a large numbers of supporters who are in favor of creating more opportunities for Ohio and providing those in need with less addictive medication. He said the industrial hemp industry in Canada is a "billion" dollar business.

"Right now, this bill is pulling 60 percent (approval) in the state of Ohio," he said. "I've talked with veterans that come back with post traumatic stress disorder and say, 'I'm taking 12 to 16 pills a day.' Cannabis has shown to be a benefit. Ohio's number one economic engine is agriculture. Between medical marijuana and industrial hemp we can start another industry that wouldn't be controlled by the black market. When you have 18 states that already have it, it's the right thing to do."

State Rep. Bob Hagan, D-Youngstown, plans to propose two bills that would decriminalize marijuana use in Ohio. The first bill would allow medical marijuana for qualifying residents and the other would legalize marijuana for recreational use.

"To pass the bills it would take two-thirds vote in the house and senate," Hagan said. "Then it would go on as constitutional amendment and allow the voters to decide. I've talked to a lot of legislators who have all said the same thing; 'If we can tax it there might be some value to it.' If we are able to redirect money to education or local government, then they would be in favor of that."

While Hagan hasn't endorsed the Ohio Cannabis Rights Amendment, both of the proposals address the need for non-habit forming prescriptions.

Lorain Veterans Council's Veteran of the Year, Don Attie, said he met Pardee at an ORG rally this past month. Since then, he has researched the benefits of medical marijuana and how the plant could be particularly effective for veterans.

"There are a lot of situations where I see vets turning to alcohol and painkillers to self-medicate," Attie said. "Let's face it, this is something the good Lord put on this earth to grow freely. People are just ignorant to the benefits. Nothing is going to change until we understand that better. I can't see anyone denying something that would help another person."

The Ohio Rights Group will attend the Cleveland Peace and Freedom Rally on Saturday in an attempt to obtain more signatures to guarantee their quota is met.

"We want to be sure we have the numbers," Pardee said. "If we don't make our 1,000 (valid signatures) we start all over. We're using the march to rally the troops and add extra numbers. That's why this amendment is so important because last year we were divided. This year we have to unite behind one measure. I will stand by this amendment against anything going on at the State house."

The Cleveland Peace and Freedom Rally will take place from noon to 6 p.m. at the Fort Huntington Park by Lakeside Avenue and West Third Street in Downtown Cleveland.

Signatures_For_Ohio_MMJ.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: morningjournal.com
Author: John Pardee
Website: Ohio medical marijuana group gains the 1,100 petition signatures it needed - morningjournal.com

Back
Top Bottom