PA: Pot-Growing Proposal Gains Support In Lower Pottsgrove

Katelyn Baker

Another applicant for a medical marijuana growing license has presented plans to build a facility in the Tri-County area, this time in Lower Pottsgrove Township.

Bunker Botanicals LLC, owned by Douglassville businessman Robert Basile, received support from the township commissioners after presenting a plan to convert an underground communications equipment bunker built in the 1960s to a marijuana growing facility.

The 50,000-square-foot facility at 125 Porter Road would meet all state security requirements, the company said, noting that consultants have said it could be one of the most secure sites in Pennsylvania.

"This is absolutely the best and most secure solution that will capture the attention of those who are looking at our permits," said Geoff Whaling, the group's operations manager. "Could there possibly be anything more secure than a bunker that is 23 feet under the ground with very few points of entry?"

The facility would be used to manufacture state-approved medical marijuana in various forms, including oils and capsules. The products would be delivered to state-licensed dispensaries, which cannot be located at the growing site.

Township Commissioner Ray Lopez, who toured the underground facility Wednesday, said he was in favor of the proposal and hoped the group would obtain one of the two available licenses in the state's southeastern region, an eight-county area that includes Berks, Montgomery and Chester counties.

"When I first heard of this, I thought of a smoky opium den," Lopez said. "It's not what this is about, now that I've seen it and been educated. It would be more like Merck asking to build a facility here."
Two other growing sites have been proposed for areas around Pottstown.

The commissioners in West Pottsgrove voted last week to provide a letter of support to Haverford-based Holistic Industries of Pennsylvania to construct a 100,000 square-foot facility off West High Street at the former Stanley G. Flagg Co. site.

Another applicant, Keystone Medical Cannabis LLC, made a presentation to the Limerick Township supervisors this week to utilize a facility at 880 Enterprise Drive. No decisions were made at that meeting.

In Lower Pottsgrove, the commissioners voted 3-1 to approve a letter of support for Bunker Botanicals'
proposal. Board Vice President Stephen Klotz cast the dissenting vote, saying that while he did not agree with the state's decision to approve medical marijuana use, it was not the reason for his vote. Instead, he pointed to concerns with the plan.

"I opposed it because I just don't see great fire escapes there, and I didn't see a lot of things that I think need to be in a building," Klotz said. "And I certainly didn't see pictures of how they are going to secure the building."

To apply for a growing facility license, applicants must pay a nonrefundable $10,000 fee and a $200,000 permit fee that is refundable if a license is not awarded.

Applicants also must show proof of $2 million in capital. Applications are due to the state by March 20, with a 90-day review period to follow.

SusanKeen.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pot-Growing Proposal Gains Support In Lower Pottsgrove
Author: Matt Carey
Photo Credit: Susan Keen

Back
Top Bottom