Passive Intake Ideas

Tokensmoke10

I've been brainstorming because I really want to use passive intake but having an intake fan seems a lot less work. Until I came up with this; ceiling/floor vents. I came up with 3 different positions that might work, but I'm looking for what other people think before I go cutting holes.

First, the sq inch area of the fans is 45 1/8 in sq. and I know that in a passive intake system the intake needs to be at least 2x as large as the exhaust. The ceiling vents in my apartment are 12" X 6.5" so around 78 in sq. So two of those would give me around 156 in sq, more than enough. But then after some googling, there are smaller sizes of vents to use so as not to has too much excess.

Here are my ideas:

vent1.jpeg

As you can see the vents are positioned on the floor towards the front while the exhaust fans will be in the back and up towards the top of coarse. I'd like to add that since I haven't cut and holes, the vents would sit pretty flush against the floor.

vent3.jpeg

One on each side. The vents would be positioned to face outwards but still in front and low but the shutters would stick into the box a little bit. The con would be that it might look weird having 2 vents on the side of my cabinet but would that be that noticeable?

vent2.jpeg

Finally, the weirdest idea is to cut holes in the doors themselves. I am aware that there is a gap between the doors but that will be sealed. This idea seems like it would be more noticeable even more so than #2. Just how odd looking are vents sticking out of a cabinet?

Let me know what ya all think!

Vents on a cabinet will always look reaaaally wierd.
So if i were you i'd consider propping it up by a inch or two and stick the wents in the floor, or place them on the back of the cabinet and keeping him a inch or two from the wall and put some other furniture to the sides so it won't be too noticable.

Vents on a cabinet will always look reaaaally wierd.
So if i were you i'd consider propping it up by a inch or two and stick the wents in the floor, or place them on the back of the cabinet and keeping him a inch or two from the wall and put some other furniture to the sides so it won't be too noticable.

The first picture is basically what you're talking about when you say vents on the floor. It might be hard to see in that picture but there is about 1 1/2 in of space between the floor of the cabinet and the actual carpet. :grinjoint:

The first picture is basically what you're talking about when you say vents on the floor. It might be hard to see in that picture but there is about 1 1/2 in of space between the floor of the cabinet and the actual carpet. :grinjoint:

Yeah, tho what i ment was to prop it a bit more up to give it more space for airflow

the passive intakes could work depending on how you have the cab positioned. Are you going to have it in a corner in your room or under something? If you have a active intake, it will also allow you to run more cfls in there or even throw an hps in there cause air flow will be better, which will = better heat dissepation

nice size cab tho ;)

Well if ya say that Dro, then I think I'll just go with an active intake :peace:

I had passive air intakes I the bottom and back of my cabinet and found them to be inadiquite once the plants started to bush up so I put in an active intake and it solved bunch of problems .
I have aprox 2' by 2' by 6' cabinet running 600watt hps with a 200cfm exaust and a120 cfm intake fan blowing in from bottomcabinet stays at about 80 to 83 degrees with light on ,hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom